pickups instalation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
    Just IMO try to buy the ones from Bill and Becky Lawrence.
    The one I have is the Bill Lawrence USA one (not Becky and Bill) and it's great. I don't know what the Becky and Bill model sounds like, but mine is great and it was half the price of a Duncan or DiMarzio.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks for your help guys
      so, after i install it, what do i do with the batt thats already in the rhoads pro? and is the combination of Bill 500XL + emg afterburner a good idea?
      and yes indeed, i am new to guitar electronics...at least i know the parts of my guitars lol. oh, i remember now, martin is the guy that recommends me the bill 500XL
      and yes, i'll get a good set of cabs and head when i got the money (i really doubt it since i usually spend my money either on beer...book...food...or new guitars lol)
      anyway, thanks guys
      Own:
      '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
      w/e catches my eyes ATM
      More '90 Professionals

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
        The one I have is the Bill Lawrence USA one (not Becky and Bill) and it's great. I don't know what the Becky and Bill model sounds like, but mine is great and it was half the price of a Duncan or DiMarzio.
        I never tried it but I heard bad things about those PUs, if you like it, it's fine.

Regarding mine, one is a NOS from late 70s (with the all box), the other should be around '83, both cream, so they belong to the era where Lawrence and the other guy were still in business together...
        '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
        '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
        '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
        '92 Fender Strat scallop
        '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
        '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
          Thanks for your help guys
          so, after i install it, what do i do with the batt thats already in the rhoads pro? and is the combination of Bill 500XL + emg afterburner a good idea?
          and yes indeed, i am new to guitar electronics...at least i know the parts of my guitars lol. oh, i remember now, martin is the guy that recommends me the bill 500XL
          and yes, i'll get a good set of cabs and head when i got the money (i really doubt it since i usually spend my money either on beer...book...food...or new guitars lol)
          anyway, thanks guys
          If you aren't that experienced in electronics what about changing just the PUs?Do you really need to add a preamp to such a hot pickup?

Take into account that you can install the afterburner later...
          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '92 Fender Strat scallop
          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
            If you aren't that experienced in electronics what about changing just the PUs?Do you really need to add a preamp to such a hot pickup?

Take into account that you can install the afterburner later...
            ugh oh...i know. i was just asking whether its a good idea or not. beside, i dont have enouff money to get both at the same time lol
            Own:
            '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
            w/e catches my eyes ATM
            More '90 Professionals

Comment

IF in fact you have the Jackson JE-1000 series mid boost system on the guitar then yes you can wire the BL XL 500 with no problem.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i'm planning to get a bill lawrence USA 500 XL since i've heard good stuff abt it
                just as a note. i bought a 500xl for my rhoads pro, but the pickup ring that comes with it is like a half inch thick. i couldnt even fit the ring under my strings. if you get one you may need to find a pickup ring that works cause a standard one wont. i ended up selling my 500xl because of it. maybe someone can chime in and let you know where to get one. i know dave(budman68) can make one for you.

Comment

The Seymour Duncan Dimebucker shares the same shape as the Bill Lawrence 500 series pickups.
                  So, you may be able to get one from Seymour Duncan.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Best thing in the world you can do is post a picture of your electronics cavity here so people can get an idea of what you already have. If you are looking for "Teh Brootal" and you don't already have electronics in the cavity I would suggest an EMG or Duncan Blackouts set. They come with all the pots and wiring diagrams you would need in order to set them up.

If your guitar has a JE-1000 or JE-1200 in it then sticking in a high output passive would probably also give you what you want.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                      just as a note. i bought a 500xl for my rhoads pro, but the pickup ring that comes with it is like a half inch thick. i couldnt even fit the ring under my strings. if you get one you may need to find a pickup ring that works cause a standard one wont. i ended up selling my 500xl because of it. maybe someone can chime in and let you know where to get one. i know dave(budman68) can make one for you.

I just put a 500XL in to my Concept. I had a ring from my RR3 in there and it fitted it fine. You're right the ring that comes with the 500XL is stupidly thick, but like I say, the pickup fitted into a standard sized one for me.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                        ok...cant i just use the original pickup ring from my rhoads pro?(sry, eventhough i have both the soldering kit + 500XL, i havent have the time yet).
                        Own:

Dreamin abt:
                        w/e catches my eyes ATM
                        More '90 Professionals

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                          Only if it has a mid boost circuit.I'd say your RR has the jackson JE 1000 mid boost system that has a pre -amp attached to the vol pot.The mid boost system has a vol tone and boost control.
                          The JE-1000 is not actually a midboost... it's a preamp booster. The JE-1200 is the midboost, and I believe the JE-1500 is the wah sweep circuit.

Also, even though Jackson's active systems will work with other passive pickups, they usually sound better with the Jackson pickups.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ok...cant i just use the original pickup ring from my rhoads pro?(sry, eventhough i have both the soldering kit + 500XL, i havent have the time yet).
                            Oh yeah, you can in fact use a pickup ring from another pickup but the Bill Lawrence, Bill Lawrence USA, and the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker have a smaller overall shape than a standard humbucker, therefore you will have a small gap between the ring and the pickup.
                            It fits fine, and if cosmetics aren't an issue, go for it!
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven
                            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

ok, i was abt to start soldering, and my clumsiness dropped a screwdriver on the rhoads pro's body
                              it seems that it did a pretty harsh cosmetic crack on the back of the guitar
                              well, gotta be more careful T_T, and i'll post the crack when i'm done...wish me luck
                              Own:

Dreamin abt:
                              w/e catches my eyes ATM
                              More '90 Professionals

Comment

what pickup did you decide on goin with? and how the heck did you crack the back? all access is from the front......well good luck and i hope it wasnt too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X