No announcement yet.

Duncan Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody tried the new Alternative 8 (sh15) yet? sounds interesting. I just may have to order one and see.
    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
      All 3 of those clips are VERY good representations of this pickup. The only thing missing is a clip of some downtuned stuff.
      damn dude... This JB in my soloist is outa here! that guitar sounded like it was trying to speak! how do you feel that this pickup compares to the Custom 5?

Comment

I had a JB in my RR-1 and it soudned like ass, too muddy. Then I tried EMG's, no dice there either. Then I put a Custom in, it sounded good but didn't really have any low end punch. So I switched out the ceramic magnet for an alnico 8 magnet and now it's the shit. It's not that hard to switch the magnets either. I believe there is a tutorial on the Duncan forum.

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
          damn dude... This JB in my soloist is outa here! that guitar sounded like it was trying to speak! how do you feel that this pickup compares to the Custom 5?
          Depends on the guitar. The Custom seems pretty even along the frequency range. The JB has a lot of high mids and treble, and I hate it in most guitars. I really like it in my import Brian Moore i9f (mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood board, thin maple top). I didn't like it in my RR1T (replaced that with a Parallel Axis Distortion Trembucker and love it).
          The Custom 5 has slightly boosted treble and bass and more neutral mids where it seems scooped. It sounds more like a souped up '59, if you've ever played a '59 bridge pup.
          I didn't like the C5 in my Charvel Star (alder body, maple/maple neck), and I replaced it with a DiMarzio Tone Zone and am very happy now. The C5 works very well in my Hamer Special FM (mahogany body/neck, rosewood board, 3/8" maple top).
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was always under the impression that rosewood was the cheapest of fretboards but those clips sound bad ass. Who the hell was playing that guitar anyway?

Comment

Customs kick @ss. Best Duncan PU ever. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I've never tried a Custom 5 yet. I have Customs in my Strat, My LPs, my KV1, and my maple bodied/ebony board Lado. It sounds great in almost everything. I had to go with a Custom Custom in my Aria Pro II LC-550 though (LP copy). I'm not sure why, but the Custom sounded a tad bright in it. Maybe it's because it has a very thick maple cap. Not sure. The Custom Custom is great for situations like this because it sounds pretty close to a Custom, but with less high end. It's actually the same pickup, but with a different magnet.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I was always under the impression that rosewood was the cheapest of fretboards
                  You've been under the wrong impression. Back in the day, rosewood was an upcharge over maple on Charvel necks. It is hands down my favorite fingerboard wood (actually pau ferro).

Comment

+1 for rosewood, especially pau ferro.

Comment

I can't believe there is so much love for the custom 5. I really hated that pickup in my charvel traditional. I changed it our for a JB.

Comment

I prefer the Custom Custom. It's a tad brighter than the Custom, which seems a bit muted, especially on the highs.

You might also want to try a Gibson 498T. I had one in a Performer Kelly and that thing punched like Ali.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks man! i had a custom 5 once, but i don't remember how it sounded.

I was always under the impression that rosewood was the cheapest of fretboards but those clips sound bad ass. Who the hell was playing that guitar anyway?
                          if you're referring to the clips that i posted of how a custom sounds in different guitars, that was me playing on all of them. thanks for the props about speaking guitars.

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                            Has anybody tried the new Alternative 8 (sh15) yet? sounds interesting. I just may have to order one and see.
                            Gil
                            I put a SH-15 in my ESP MX-II, it is voiced like a Duncan Distortion but it has smoother highs and a little more bass. and single note stuff sounds thicker then the DD.

Comment

If anyone has a clip of an ebony neck through Jackson with a custom 5 can you post a URL?

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                                the question isn't why you should buy a custom, the question is why shouldn't you? there's no reason why you should not. here's some sound clips:

custom in an alder/maple topped body/rosewood fretboard rolled off:
                                http://www.sullyville.net/music/regrets.mp3

custom in a alder/maple topped body/rosewood fretboard not rolled off:
                                http://www.sullyville.net/music/shockme_cut.mp3

custom in an alder bodied/ebony fretboard:
                                http://www.sullyville.net/music/BATM.mp3
                                I'm sitting here playing Freecell, listening to "Regrets", having just knocked off a bottle of Cab Merlot, and I wanna know....

how do you roll off a rosewood fretboard?
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X