No announcement yet.

Its time to strip the 750XL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand that you're bummed. I also have a solid color 750XL, btw.

Put a crazy finish on it! Purple sparkle? Sea foam green? Hot Pink?

Comment

It is a bummer, especially since the catalog says they're all mah / maple, but I still think it's got all kinds of potential to be a kickass guitar. Pearl white would be sweet, like the one Sean Raf refinned. Or maybe yellow pearl!

Comment

I'd still go for a dye or trans color so the wood grain will show through. It really doesn't look bad.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          I'd still go for a dye or trans color so the wood grain will show through. It really doesn't look bad.
          +1...
          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I wouldn't let the type of wood keep me from completing that project. Besides repainting is isn't going to help it sound any better if you truly believe that the paint is hindering the guitar's tone. If anything adding more layers of paint would make it worse.
            Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
              I dont even feel like working on it now.
              Yea I know how you feel. Just send it to me so you don't have to look at it jk I wouldn't let that stop me from finishing it. Trans red !

Comment

That sucks that the back wasn't a solid chuck of mahogany. Basswood would be light weight.

I was going to suggest painting it with a thin coat of nitro like an LP to see if a thin paint coat helps the tone.

And I agree - stripping poly guitars is a PITA. I'm still working on one for the past 15 years

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                  I gotta say, Im REALLY bummed out about this... I dont even feel like working on it now.
                  Nonsense bro! You believe that thick paint somewhat absorb resonance... I think you said that above at some point. Then, why not strip it and refinish it? Refinish it in a color that will help its resale value, if needed. And that color is Pearl White (as Dana suggested).
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    You're right, that doesn't look like mahogany at all. I'd take a guess at basswood.
                    +1

Doesn't look like Alder but it's hard to be certain from the pictures. Alder typically has a more pronounced grain so I would guess Basswood from what I can see.

A maple top on basswood is popular for some reason. Maybe it's the best combination as some seem to think. Look at all the Wolfgangs and MM with that combo. Plus Tom Anderson says that is a popular choice of woods for his line. I say go through with it and finish your project. I'm sure you will be glad you did.

Comment

Man, now you have me thinking refin thoughts as well!

Mine is quite dinged up and also has that super thick clearcoat. Oh well...just another thing that has to wait until I get a job.

Comment

Well, I think another JCF Bro will be taking on this challenge! I just dont have the time or money for a FULL paint refin... stain and clear I could handle. But a full refin is just outta my price league at this point. Once the deal is sealed, Im sure hell be happy to keep ya'll updated!
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The guitar will be rescued! Hooray!
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The 750 will be in its new owners hands tomorrow! Good luck to him and the 750, Im sure he will be more than happy to keep ya'll updated!
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I absolutely will. I'm not sure how long it'll take me or when exactly I'll start it but, I will keep everyone updated for sure. I'm really looking foward to this project. Thanks Rob.

Comment

Here is what I have in mind. It would obviously have a Charvel logo and be an archtop but, you get the picture. Keep in mind, this is very preliminary.

Comment

Working...
                                X