No announcement yet.

Its time to strip the 750XL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, same stuff Ive got. It made the very top coat rough... thats about all it did. Left it on for well over a half hour both times. At that rate, Id need 4 gallons and 3 weeks to strip it.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Why the hell would they cover up a pretty top like that?!?!?
      Once stripped, I'd paint the back black, tape off the sides to create a nice wood binding (ala PRS) and stain the top!

Looks nice a nice piece of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
        Yup, same stuff Ive got. It made the very top coat rough... thats about all it did. Left it on for well over a half hour both times. At that rate, Id need 4 gallons and 3 weeks to strip it.
        Sorry it didn't work out.
        Looks like that sander's doing a pretty good job though!

Comment

The top, is maple. The rest of the guitar... well, Im not too sure... but Im sure about one thing... it is NOT Mahogany. Check the pics... what the hell is it then?

Alder maybe?
          Just a guess.

Comment

All you did was exposed the Maple neck thru piece.
            Take a look at the wings, looks like Mahogany to me.
            -Rick

Comment

Its a set neck, not a neck thru.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

www.myspace.com/fleshengine the guitar on SkinGrapht sounds fun as hell. What kind of guitar, pickup, amp?

Comment

I didnt record any of those, that was the old guitarist. Guitar was an Ibanez iirc, amp was a solid state Ampeg... thats as much as I know. Unfortunatley we dont even play that song anymore, which is a shame because it was a cool song.

Comment

Its a set neck, not a neck thru.
                    Ah yes... 750... duh.
                    The upper portion looks like Mahogany to me.
                    The second and third pics show a darker piece of wood on the upper section.
                    -Rick

Comment

Ok, its possibly 1/3 mahogany.

Comment

No wonder it sounds dead... it's made from scrap.
                        j/k
                        -Rick

Comment

Honestly Im kinda upset about it. I mean, its advertised as a mahogany guitar... thats one of the reasons I bought it.

Comment

You're right, that doesn't look like mahogany at all. I'd take a guess at basswood.

Comment

I found a note on some guitar site on the net (www.audioz... something, whatever.. ) saying that:
                              750XL: Mahogany body with maple arched top.
                              Some say that solid color models did not have mahogany bodies,
                              but Basswood or Alder instead.

Looks like your experience confirms this. Maybe most, if not all solid colored 750XLs were maple caps on basswood bodies. That would be my best guess.
                              Henrik
                              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Youre probably right Henrik... Im kind of at a point where Im not sure what to do now. I was going to strip the body, and probably go with a natural or red dye for the nice mahogany back that was SUPPOSED to be there. But alas, I really see no point in stripping the whole guitar now. Guess Ill take it down to the base coat, fill any dings and what not, then just have it refinned. If I had to guess, Id say its Alder, as its not exactly a soft wood like Basswood.

I gotta say, Im REALLY bummed out about this... I dont even feel like working on it now.
                                Last edited by RobRR; 01-23-2008, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X