Move That Volume Pot Out Of The WAY!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finnman View Post
    Henrik, you need some Chrome buttons? I got some.
    Thanks for asking, but no thanks, Finn. I have to get some in black some day.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Had that done 2 years ago, although it still doesnt look "right"

Comment

I've got a KE2T with a custom shop volume-only knob config! No mods required (frickin sweet).

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          I've got a KE2T with a custom shop volume-only knob config! No mods required (frickin sweet).
          I've got a similar setup, only the push-pull volume knob is used also for selecting the pickups. Can be a bit tricky with sweaty hands, though.

The volume pot on my SL1 is in the way for me too, but only when I am trying to reach the pickup selector.

Regards,
          Mads

Comment

I just can the Tone knob and convert it to a Volume, and setup the original Volume as a neck pickup volume. So bridge volume is farthest away and neck is close to your picking hand. This way since I only switch to the neck pickup once in a while anyways, I can easily make sure the volume knob is turned all the way up when I flip the switch and I'm usually only doing clean parts or leads so there's no aggressive rhythm work causing me to accidentally bump the knob. Works great for me, and let's me use my pickup switch as an on/off switch when I switch guitars!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post

That Kelly looks perfect with the volume knob there! You are causing major GAS with this pic. I don't have a Kelly yet. Hmmm, I may have to go for the Custom Shop route.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                That Kelly looks perfect with the volume knob there! You are causing major GAS with this pic. I don't have a Kelly yet. Hmmm, I may have to go for the Custom Shop route.
                Thanks, it is basically a KE2T but with the Friedman KE1 control layout. I wish this config were more readily available, and didn't require a custom shop order.

Comment

I can't pick at all with the fingers fanned out. It causes tension in my wrist when I do so, and I feel like a lose all strength and accuracy in my pick movements.
                  -1, i find it's the opposite. Dunno what exactly you mean by "fanned out", but for me having the other fingers open makes for less tension in the wrist/forearm, and the accuracy is helped by the thumb and index "helping" the picking motion and compensating for pick angle across strings, and also by the pinky resting against the body near the volume pot. Also helps in more "uniform" palm muting across the strings (i mute more with the edge of my hand and the first joints of my pinky) and for tapping, the middle & ring fingers are already in good position.

Just my $0.02

I call it finger style meets metal technique
                  Actually it's called "chicken pickin" ... nfi who came up with that name and why...
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I have always had a problem with hitting the volume knob, I'm really glad you posted this, I can't wait to do this with my guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                      -1, i find it's the opposite. Dunno what exactly you mean by "fanned out", but for me having the other fingers open makes for less tension in the wrist/forearm, and the accuracy is helped by the thumb and index "helping" the picking motion and compensating for pick angle across strings, and also by the pinky resting against the body near the volume pot. Also helps in more "uniform" palm muting across the strings (i mute more with the edge of my hand and the first joints of my pinky) and for tapping, the middle & ring fingers are already in good position.
                      Well, good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jairic View Post
                        I have always had a problem with hitting the volume knob, I'm really glad you posted this, I can't wait to do this with my guitars.
                        Your certainly welcome! I try to add things here by learning the hard way and searching for new ideas and hopefully it's of benefit for the members here.

I knew some members had done this in the past (old, old posts) and I wanted to find a source for a quick and easy fix.
                        Last edited by Bengal65; 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

awww shucks guys,,I'm flattered

MOSH ON
                          DAVE
                          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I'm so glad to find that I am not the only one that dislikes the volume pot placement on these fine guitars. My SL1 was moved back, but I never plugged the old hole. Now my SL2 will suffer the same fate, but I will plug both once I order them. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by finnman View Post
                              We had a post on this years ago.
                              On my Model 6, I made some felt washers to put under
                              the volume knob so it takes more effort to move it.
                              Say, where did you get the felt to try this? If it offers enough resistance, I might try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X