Fretboard Problem !! Linseed Oil??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
    Terrible advice. Mineral oil WILL NOT CONDITION...it will simply make the surface look nice. Use it enough times and it will block other true conditioning oils from doing their jobs. Olive oil is a better choice all day long than anything with mineral oil in it (although I won't use it personally because it has to potential to spoil under the right conditions). If you want to truly condition an organic, cellular structure (wood), you need an organic oil...not mineral oil!
    I disagree. Lemon oil is basically mineral oil, and it's usually all I use. Also, tell that to Jackson/Charvel... their owner's manual tells you to use Vaseline.
    Jimmy D'Acquisto, the acoustic guitar maker, uses 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil. He also tells you to stay away from any vegetable-based oils, as they could have a tendency to rot the wood.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree with toejam. I have been using white mineral oil for over 35 years, and have never had a problem with it. GHS uses it in FastFret, and I would think they know a thing or two about guitars.

Comment

I use Lizard Spit.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ner?sku=428501

A local acoustic builder swears by it. Never had any issues with it.

Comment

Once again, you are making your fretboards look pretty but you aren't deep conditioning the wood with mineral oil. Its not my opinion, its fact. I'm not trying to come off as high and mighty on this but I've done my homework. Go to www.beafifer.com and read his dissertation on conditioning woods. It is a great summary of essentially everything that I learned while manging a music store and doing repairs for most of the 90's. I'm just trying to use my experience to help you guys. Way too many people trust a product to do what its supposed to do when thats not always the case (Gibson and Dunlop fretboard conditioners for example).

Comment

Thanks but I will stick to something that I have used for most of my life without ever having a problem. I checked out the site you recommended, and the only thing I can find on guitar is a promo for FretDoctor, which they sell.

While the promo states that wood must have some moisture in it, my Mom and Grandma were guitar players and used the some thing I do. In fact, I am using the rest of a bottle of white mineral oil I inherited from Grandma...lol! No splitting, no warping and no problems. Nice, smooth and level as glass.

Mineral oil will not help a dried up, f-ed up fretboard, but regularly conditioning a good fretboard with mineral oil will keep it in proper shape. Like I said, 35+ years of use on my guitars without fail. Also, I live in a high humidity area (90-100% all of the time), so I prefer using an oil that is not hygroscopic (water loving).

I am no expert, but mineral oils and wood have been used together for longer than I have been alive, and without any problems.

Comment

Working...
            X