Fretboard Problem !! Linseed Oil??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
    metalcore did not check his responses before he went off and did what he was going to do anyway
    NO NO i didnt applied any thing on my DKMG , yet
    i was testing Linseed oil on my Acoustic , which had rosewood fretboard too
    sorry im a newbiee , nevermind
    In God we Trust, All others must pay cash :ROTF:

Comment

the fretboard on my acoustic is too dark now :O may be i applied alot of it
      and its not dried yet , im getting a sticky feeling ..
      its dubble boiled , thats why its too dark i guess

Comment

Originally posted by metalcore View Post
        the fretboard on my acoustic is too dark now :O may be i applied alot of it
        and its not dried yet , im getting a sticky feeling ..
        its dubble boiled , thats why its too dark i guess
        So now you have two messed up guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
          Nice! Let us know how that olive oil works out on top of your linseed oil & water, dude. What else do you have in the cabinet?
          :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

I feel bad for posting that now. I thought he put the linseed oil on the Jackson. Sorry, mc.

Plenty of good advice in this thread. Try that bore oil, or if you're in a hurry, lemon oil is easy to find at any hardware store & even some supermarkets. Naptha will probably help you get the excess linseed oil off of your acoustic, and may also help remove whatever that white residue is that was left on your Jackson.

Comment

how do i get the lifted up fret leveled up ??

Comment

i am sure its lifted up , because i had no problem in low action at 19th fret now the its dead

Comment

Tap it back down with a small plastic headed mallet then bleed some thin super glue down in the fret groove that should hold it down.
                  Please ask questions before doing things if you are unsure just what to do.
                  I will try fret doctor thanks for the advice guys.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah no shit, how many fucking people replied telling you EXACTLY what to do and then you still went and did something totally different without even asking if it was okay for your guitar? Jeeez....

Comment

dude, take that guitar to a tech, quickly.

as far as your gummy acoustic fretboard goes, you may be able to get the excess off with naptha. you can also put a little bit of linseed oil on some 0000 grade steel wool, then apply it to the fretboard again. then immediately buff the fretboard with a terry cloth towel until you get the excess off. you'll most likely have to buff it a few times to get the excess off.

and i'm sorry, but there's no way in hell that you found a serious tech thread on this board that recommended cleaning a fretboard with warm water.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Just to address the not using "edible" oil, I very scandalously used regular old vegetable oil on rosewood and everything turned out fine.

Definitely no water though.
                        Scott

Comment

The problem with edible oils is that they rot/decompose. I use white mineral oil and it works like a champ. I rub it in, let it sit 5 minutes and then buff it off. If I really need to degunk the fretboard, I use white mineral oil and an old soft toothbrush (to get up against the fret wires).

Water + Wood = Swollen Wood

And no, putting water on morning wood will not make it swell any more than it already has!

Comment

Use lemon oil for fingerboards, not linseed oil! Strings need to be removed where possible and the fingerboard cleaned with steel wool....the finest grade possible. Rub gently up and down the fingerboard (always with the grain), and then apply some lemon oil using a soft rag. Allow to dry then wipe down with a clean cloth. Lemon oil is usually sold at music shops and steel wool can be obtained from most hardware stores.

Rock on!

WhiteWolf
                            I ain't no rocker!

Comment

Anything with mineral oil will be fine.
                              Terrible advice. Mineral oil WILL NOT CONDITION...it will simply make the surface look nice. Use it enough times and it will block other true conditioning oils from doing their jobs. Olive oil is a better choice all day long than anything with mineral oil in it (although I won't use it personally because it has to potential to spoil under the right conditions). If you want to truly condition an organic, cellular structure (wood), you need an organic oil...not mineral oil!

Comment

I've happily used Kyser Dr. Stringfellow Lem-Oil (Lemon Oil) for years, for cleaning and conditioning.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Oil?sku=421902

Comment

Working...
                                X