Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My amp Is fucked....

Originally posted by Child Of Norther:
    Whaddya mean sold out? i bought it 2 years ago??? and i know someone that bought one 2 weeks ago?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I did not mean that the amp has been sold out. I was referring to the fact that Marshall has a grand history, like Supermarine. I am just saying that, maybe, Marshall has "sold out" it's name, and that the name you know from the past, is not built into the amps we buy now.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Ahhhh...

Well man, i'm 16 so i dont go back in marshalls history so have nothig to compare to. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I love this amp amp man, you should try it one day, it rocks

Comment

The Valvestates are actually great amps. I had one for a long time that I bought new, and just recently sold to a friend.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Well guys here's an update...

i opened her up and found, rightly enough.. a blown fuse so i was right down to the guitar store with the broken fuse and got a replacement.

So i plug the fuse in and screw the whole bit back into the casing and plug it in.

The light comes on.. i hear a buzz and a big flash emits from inside the amp (i saw it through the vent/grating on top.. and the am,p dies again. i tried this with two different fuses. I;ve been advised by 2 net friends that it is short circuted but i cant see anywhere where that would happen. Can someone give me some advice as to what to look for?

Thanks

Comment

Maybe a transistor shorted in the output stage. I'm not too familiar with valvestates but there are a lot of schematics available online just do a search for valvestate Model# schematic.

Comment

Amp tech time.

When working on amps, a general rule of thumb is if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                Amp tech time.

When working on amps, a general rule of thumb is if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">YA Beat me to it. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Replacing a fuse is about as far as most people should go with amp repair. I know just enough to talk myself out of sticking my pinkys in there and compounding the problem and/or getting electrocuted.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Allow me to apologize for suggesting you might want to electrocute yourself j/k [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . I work on electronics so I sometimes automatically ASS u ME that other people have the access to the tools required to perform tests etc. Once again my apologies. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                    Chuck's absolutely right. Take it to a tech, before you damage it further by blind tinkering. I hope to God you didn't try fuses of higher values than what it called for, or you may have made more damage already.

A tech is cheaper than completely ruining the amp and having to buy a new one. You need to bite the bullet.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dont worry man, i took my Blown fuse to the guitar shop and asked him for a replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                      Amp tech time.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This i know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm an electgrical retard. the only electricsa i know is guitar wiring. thats why unless the problem has an obvious solution or somecan tell me EXACTLY what to do i am not doing a damned thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Chuck's absolutely right. Take it to a tech, before you damage it further by blind tinkering. I hope to God you didn't try fuses of higher values than what it called for, or you may have made more damage already.

A tech is cheaper than completely ruining the amp and having to buy a new one. You need to bite the bullet.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Child Of Norther:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lerxstcat:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dont worry man, i took my Blown fuse to the guitar shop and asked him for a replacement </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And how well does the dude in the guitar shop know his shit? Or care? I know of several shops where they'll just give you whatever fuse they have lying around that's the same size, without ever checking the values.
                          I could write a book about this one store where I used to be friendly with the owner. I did some repairs on guitars for him, but some of the shit I saw him pull... Not to mention the mark-up he charged customers. If he paid me ten bucks, he'd charge the customer 100.
                          Some stores might even give you an incompatible fuse so you'll fry the amp and have to shell out for either a costly repair or a new amp!!
                          If you can trust your store, excellent. If not, look for a good tech immediately! At the first sign of dishonesty, time to change!

Comment

Well, inside the amp it said "replace with T2AL Fuse"

i went to the store and the guy gave me a T2AL fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho:
                              If not, look for a good tech immediately! At the first sign of dishonesty, time to change! [/QB]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">man, i'd love to but hes the only guy in a 40mile radius.... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

And yes he is a total bastard. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Being a bastard ain't necessarily a bad thing [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                                Well, this means you can rule out the fuse.
                                Small comfort, but if your amp fried, it's pretty easy for a tech to see where the problem is. Burnmarks are easy to spot [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X