Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Radius- When will they offer better choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. Not sure if they do or not, Jamie.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

: Floyd Rose Radius- When will they offer better choices?

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
      I think the Schaller bridge radius is 14 inches, not the nut. If the nut had a different radius other than 10", it would have had a different "R" designation. It would not be called a R2
      To the best of my knowledge, the "R" designation refers to the nut width, not radius. Also, I checked with Stewart MacDonald before I started this thread, and the nut and bridge are both a 14' radius. Having a mismatched bridge and nut would be worse than dealing with the straight 10'.
      GM,
      www.aftershok.com

Comment

Floyd Rose Radius- When will they offer better choices? Reply to Thread

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        That's because there pretty much isn't one. Much ado about nothing. I mean, we've all been playing Floyd Roses for 25-ish years. Geesh.
        Sure, the FR is doable as is and we all have been using and abusing them for a while now, but I wouldn't say it's not noticeable. Many companies and end-users have to do extra set-up to make them compatible with the radius of the neck. I have definitely played some FR guitars that haven't had this done and you can tell that something is wrong. So, my point is that even though the FR can be shimmed, it could work better and provide better action with the proper radius.

Also, other manufacturers are taking notice and you will see the Gotoh Floyd with a 14' radius as an option with at least one company that I know of in 2008 for the reasons discussed.
        Last edited by HiOctane; 10-02-2007, 05:37 PM.
        GM,
        www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          The different R numbers have nothing to do with the radius, though.

R2 For 1-5/8" Nut width
          R3 For 1-11/16" Nut width Narrow
          R4 For 1-11/16" Nut width Wide
          R5 For 1-3/4" Nut width
          Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
          To the best of my knowledge, the "R" designation refers to the nut width, not radius. Also, I checked with Stewart MacDonald before I started this thread, and the nut and bridge are both a 14' radius. Having a mismatched bridge and nut would be worse than dealing with the straight 10'.
          Not to belabor this ......At least in the case of the OFR, if you look at http://www.floydrose.com/nutsizes.html

Nut #1 - Neck Width 1-9/16" - 10" radius
          Nut #2 - Neck Width 1-5/8" - 10" radius
          Nut #3 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
          Nut #4 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
          Nut #5 - Neck Width 1-3/4" - 10" radius
          Nut #6 - Neck Width 1-9/16" Bullet - 10" radius
          Nut #7 - Neck Width 1-5/8" Bullet - 10" radius
          Nut #8 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
          Nut #9 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 15" radius
          Nut #10 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - pending

R and L before the number obviously refer to Right or Left handed string arrangement.........

Comment

Radius mismatch issues are noticeable to me when I am setting a guitar up and trying to get that last bit of buzz out of every string, while still keeping the action low. Also, I am really sensitive to having the outer strings feel tighter than the inner strings, or vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
              Not to belabor this ......At least in the case of the OFR, if you look at http://www.floydrose.com/nutsizes.html

Nut #1 - Neck Width 1-9/16" - 10" radius
              Nut #2 - Neck Width 1-5/8" - 10" radius
              Nut #3 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
              Nut #4 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
              Nut #5 - Neck Width 1-3/4" - 10" radius
              Nut #6 - Neck Width 1-9/16" Bullet - 10" radius
              Nut #7 - Neck Width 1-5/8" Bullet - 10" radius
              Nut #8 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
              Nut #9 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 15" radius
              Nut #10 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - pending

R and L before the number obviously refer to Right or Left handed string arrangement.........

Checked it out, and I concur. Good catch! But the nut/bridge 10' radius issue remains!
              GM,
              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                Checked it out, and I concur. Good catch! But the nut/bridge 10' radius issue remains!
                I concur with your point as well......10" radius is just not acceptable!

Comment

Working...
                X