Guitar for testing pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VilmerX View Post
    Thats the spirit . Don't get me wrong I do respect your idea, but I just got this picture of a "Back to the future" equipped DeLorean in my head . But seriously, wouldn't this arrangement get in the way for your picking hand?

I have not removed any wood from the guitar (yet). This is just how it looks without the pickguard.
    I didn't consider you actually wanted to play it....

Comment

I have thought about the fact that this testing enviroment will not mimic the actual tone when the pickup is mounted the standard way. But my primare goal is to compare pickups relatively.
      What do you think is the problem with the tonal aspect?
      did you tell yourself the answer then ask me about it........
      what i would have done is......................
      made an oversized pick up ring. to hold the pup. it would be similar to a pickguard.
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Nice idea. Then you can tell us all about your results
        Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

I'd say the best thing to test pickups in would be if you made a guitar body out of like a 2x4 or something to hear what they sound like in the worst possible situation
          Out Of Ideas

Comment

I know a musicstore here in the Netherlands (www.voxhumana.nl) Who has a test-strat with sideways sliding electronics. They have some ten or twenty ready mounted scratchplates in store, so it's easy testing.

Comment

WilmerX: I personally think your pickup contraption will have a minimal affect on tone (if any at all). The piece of wood that the pickup is mounted to isn't big enough to alter the overall density of the guitar body, and the pickup will pick up string movement, not body vibrations. At the very worst, the wooden block will absorb some vibration and diminish the guitar's inherent sustain.

Comment

^ That's why direct-mounted pickups have more sustain and resonance, but not -that- much. imho.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Btw, what guitar is that? Performer series Jackson?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    Btw, what guitar is that? Performer series Jackson?
                    A would like a guitar where I can test different pickups -sort of like a test bench. I have an old Washburn MG-40 lying around, which already has a swimming poll routing, so I think that a little more routing should make it possible to slide pickups in and out. I just need a simple yet genius way to mount and connect the pickups. Anyone has experienced with this? -or has ideas.
                    Its a Washburn MG-40 ..a classic
                    Claus.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                      did you tell yourself the answer then ask me about it........
                      what i would have done is......................
                      made an oversized pick up ring. to hold the pup. it would be similar to a pickguard.
                      Nah, I have sort of already made my own conclusion, but I am willing to change it, if the argument is strong
                      Claus.

Comment

Well, you had Dan Armstrong with his plexiglass guitars with the interchangeable pickups, but you were limited to his pickups. In the 80's, Player made an interchangeable pickup guitar with modules which you could load with the pickups of your choice, but they went out of business quickly. Recently, Mercurio guitars made an interchangeable pickup guitar similar to Player, but a better executed design, but that company also met with the same fate as Player. You could look at a surplus electronics store, there sometimes are some quick connect gadgets that would work.

Comment

Working...
                        X