How stock is my German OFR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How stock is my German OFR?

The one thing I learned on this site, other than keeping my joking mouth shut, is that the Floyd Rose trem was originally fabricated in the US by Floyd Rose. When they started to become popular, manufacturing was moved to Germany and Schaller because they could mass- produce them. That's why you always hear about Schaller Floyds and the old "real" Floyd Rose. (His name stamped on the front.) as being the best. Since then, with the proliferation of guitars and the desire to have a Floyd Rose tremelo, you get all these"Licensed by Floyd Rose' trems.that are made, "Who knows where". Most are probably junk. The trem I have must weigh over a pound. While I may be bragging a little bit, maybe this post will clear the air as to what is a "good" Floyd and what is a "not-so-good-Floyd' I am open to corrections.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
      Guys, [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Immortal, what makes you think that the OFR should have stampings on the tremolo block?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">fett: but if you look around you won't see many trems this old that have "Floyd Rose" stamped on the front
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">? So you know how old your OFR is?

/Henrik
      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what I am asking. By the way, the knife edges are in great shape.

Comment

Originally posted by fett:
        ...the old "real" Floyd Rose. (His name stamped on the front.) as being the best.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which is produced in Germany since 1984, maybe earlier.

/Henrik
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Immortal:
          Damn, now I don't get it. Floyd Rose is a company, right? And their Floyd Rose patents are authentical, right? So Schaller makes replicas. Right? Or left? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">FR is a US company, yes. Schaller makes both the original which is marked "Floyd Rose", and the licensed one which is marked "Schaller". Both are made in the same german factory as far as i know. And they are different.

/Henrik
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What I can see is antithesis ... FR is USA company, but OFR is made by Schaller. How these two things go together? Come on, tell me everything about this shit. Now I am really fucked up.

FR is the company with their corporation network in USA and THEY make FR Pros, OFR's and SpeedLoaders? And Schaller makes them too, right?

Comment

Originally posted by fett:
            That's what I am asking.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You just stated: "you won't see many trems this old "

So, i'm asking: how old is that?

/Henrik
            Henrik

Comment

The designer of the tremolo, Floyd Rose himself, is based in Seattle, WA, USA. He maintains control of the design. He has contracted with (or may possibly own a part of) the Schaller corporation to manufacture the units. Floyd Rose (the corporation) probably focuses on advertising, product development, product placement (who's guitars are the originals going on), licensing, and distribution (regardless of the claims of AP International).
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
                FR is USA company, but OFR is made by Schaller. How these two things go together? Come on, tell me everything about this shit. Now I am really fucked up.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Floyd Rose is an american guy who invented the Floyd Rose tremolo. One day he gets tired of making them himself and calls Germany:

FR: Hello, this is Floyd.

Germany: Hallo, sprechen sie deutsch?

FR: What? Gimme a break, man!

Germany: Alles gut. Wat do yu vant?

FR: Please make my tremolos. I'm tired and want to make big money on this.

Germany: Sehr gut. We will mass produce them. Geil!

FR: Relax dude, it's my invention. You just produce them, OK?

Germany: Ehhh.. jah, total understand. We have a deal!

FR: Whatever... i'll send you the drawings and don't show them to anyone. Bye!

Germany: Super geil! We make them good quality. Bye american!

The rest is history.

/Henrik
                Henrik

Comment

LOL @ Henrik! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

To clarify the age issue. The trem arm is threaded and screws into the receiver. There is no shortage of US companies that rely on foreign manufacturers to make their product. Germany is well known for their metal fabrication. The quality of German metal working is highly sought after. For Floyd Rose to have had the wisdom to have his trems made there is a tribute to him and to Germany. For Floyd to allow his design to be made elsewhere allows us to figure out which is best.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      LOL @ Henrik! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Toe Baby: Help me here!!!! I do not want to start another international incident. "Date my Floyd, Please. She has one gold tooth, but she weighs a ton."

Comment

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Immortal:
                        FR is USA company, but OFR is made by Schaller. How these two things go together? Come on, tell me everything about this shit. Now I am really fucked up.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Floyd Rose is an american guy who invented the Floyd Rose tremolo. One day he gets tired of making them himself and calls Germany:

FR: Hello, this is Floyd.

Germany: Hallo, sprechen sie deutsch?

FR: What? Gimme a break, man!

Germany: Alles gut. Wat do yu vant?

FR: Please make my tremolos. I'm tired and want to make big money on this.

Germany: Sehr gut. We will mass produce them. Geil!

FR: Relax dude, it's my invention. You just produce them, OK?

Germany: Ehhh.. jah, total understand. We have a deal!

FR: Whatever... i'll send you the drawings and don't show them to anyone. Bye!

Germany: Super geil! We make them good quality. Bye american!

The rest is history.

/Henrik
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe you'll need something to clarify one day.
                        Okay?

Comment

/Henrik
                          Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
                            Maybe you'll need something to clarify one day.
                            Okay?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I was just explaining the story and making it entertaining at the same time. Wasn't hitting on you, Immortal. Peace [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Henrik
                            Henrik

Comment

Jackson: That's the one. Only mine is black. Thanks

Comment

No stamp on my OFR from 1985. It's blank.

/Henrik
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow. If that's your '85, now I'm jealous. It's really beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                                X