Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I honestly have NO idea where to put this topic, but MF is clearing out black OFRs!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I honestly have NO idea where to put this topic, but MF is clearing out black OFRs!!!

Comment

Re: I honestly have NO idea where to put this topic, but MF is clearing out black OFRs!!!

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
      Looks like I have 1-11/16 on my two Jacksons and one Ibanez, but how do I know whether it's an R3 or R4? What does narrow spacing and wide spacing imply if both nuts are 1-11/16?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Typically bound necks will have a R3 and unbound a R4. A Jackson SL1 will have a R3 while a Charvel Model A has a R4.

Comment

Ahhh, as simple as that, hmm? Excellent!!! Thanks for the help. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

So, any updates on these black Floyds, guys? Do they come with the locknut width that you specify, or do you have to buy the locknut separately?

Comment

Not so fast on the nut spacing, R3 is more than likely what you will want but Charvel/Jackson have done it all over the place in the past, though R3 is the most common size used.

My Charvel 750XL with bound neck has an R4 factory and a Charvel Fusion Deluxe with unbound neck also had a R4, while my other guitars with 1 11/16 necks have R3, which is I like better. I don't own the Fusion but one day I'll switch the 750XL to an R3 nut.

The R4 simply has a wider spacing, it's that simple, the strings are slightly further apart, getting you closer to what an R5 would be like.

Also, the 42mm block is interchangable. I got a 32mm from Lee at GMW for a guitar when the new OFR in the Fender box came with a 42mm. Order a new Schaller and you'll more than likely get a 42mm block too, I did with my last two. The OEM Schaller made stuff seems to come with 42mm unless maybe you specify, but sometimes you don't have a choice maybe.

Comment

i hate to be repetitive, but will these fender boxed OFR fit into a dkmg guitar? Any updates for those who ordered already?? Did you guys get it yet??

[ April 19, 2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: diospada ]

Comment

I think the DKMG has a recessed trem, so you'll need a 32mm replacement sustain block, I guess.

Comment

sigh... I guess its back to ordering from carvin again... Damn 42mm sustain blocks....

Comment

I got my Floyd yesterday and it is a 42mm block. Also, the bridge itself doesn't look as sturdy as the original Floyds of the past. The unit actually looks more like a 580 or Ibanez TRS, think thin metal.

Maybe that's how they make them now, cause all the Floyd's/Schallers that I have have some size to them.

If I can transplant my 580LP block with the Floyd, I may keep it.

Hope this helps,
                  Peter

Comment

Don't get sucked into this "deal" guys. Those trems aren't the real deal and they don't include all of the hardware. Pretty good marketing scheme on the part of M.F. though.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                      Don't get sucked into this "deal" guys. Those trems aren't the real deal
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What are they then?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Damn. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Sorry guys! I seriously had no idea. I thought Fender owned Floyd Rose so I thought these Fender Floyds were the real deal. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear:
                          They "MIGHT" fit in a DKMG since it is an Archtop, but don't come after me for the $119 if it doesn't work. I think they are the 42 mm ones. $119 isn't exactly the best price in the world on those. Heck, I can sell ya the Gold ones for that, but just remember they have no Locking Nut with um.

Matt
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If that is a true price quote for the Fender Floyd in gold.. I may bite a short trip down the road.

Comment

You cannot swap a JT580 block with an OFR's. The three screws that hold it to the plate are spaced differently. You can easily cut the 42mm block down with a hacksaw. Do it at the bottom first drilling the 5 spring holes deeper with 1 1/16th drill bit. Then using the '580 block as a guide, cut the OFR block down with a hacksaw... A good hacksaw with slice right through it. Once you're done, use a straight mill file to file the area smooth.

Comment

the OFR that carvin sells has 32mm sustain block, am I right??

Comment

They include all the hardware, except the locking nut and string retainer. And yes, they are the real deal original Floyd Rose.

Comment

Working...
                                X