Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you apply a decal on the headstock? Need help and suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
    This should work okay and would be the best "trade-off", if you absolutely must have the Jackson logo on there.

I would buy some very thin, high quality, black vinyl with adhesive back and put it on, without shaping it first. Large enough to cover the entire headstock.

Then I'd take a new exacto knife and hold it very angled and cut the vinyl carefully, using the perimeter of the headstock as a guide.

When mounting the tuning machines, I would pay close attention to the vinyl when tightening the nuts. Hopefully, the washers will prevent the vinyl from crumpling up.

THEN, if all looks good, I would apply the Jackson decal.

Of course, I would never do this to any of my guitars. Keep the original Charvel guitar logo
    Thanks! I took your advice and heres the finished product. Good thing I didn't pull out the sand paper :ROTF: . lol

It turned out pretty well for my first try IMO, for vinyl at least.

This was a spur of the moment thing, and there was no going back once the decal arrived. If I regret it later all I have to do is peal off the vinyl and I'm back to squre one. For the time being it's a Jackson Model 6 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by S-man View Post
      This is silly..IMO.
      I agree .. I just do not understand having something being represented as something it is not...

Comment

I don't fully understand why so many of you guys are giving him a hard time over this. I know its cool to see guitars kept original but its not that different from a refin or a bridge change in the end.

Comment

I am not giving him a hard time. I just do not understand. This is not quite the same as a refin or bridge change. That I can understand. To take a Charvel and placing a Jackson decal is his choice and I honestly do not care. But I still have the right that state I do not understand.

Comment

It actually looks quite nice. Are you planning to use the same texture on the body as well?

Comment

that turned out cool! and without messing up the guitar in an irreversable manner. the trussrod cover looks dorky though.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

From the pictures, that turned out fkn' great! Good job, gfunk. The binding is still visible, which is very cool.
                Did you have more than one decal? The one you applied doesn't look like the first one you showed us.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                  From the pictures, that turned out fkn' great! Good job, gfunk. The binding is still visible, which is very cool.
                  Did you have more than one decal? The one you applied doesn't look like the first one you showed us.
                  Thanks .... Your suggestions worked like a charm. The vinyl was very thin, and molded to the head stick very smoothly with a hair dryer.

It's the same decal. I guess the protective wax paper kind of shaded out the chrome.

I have plenty of vinyl left over, might cut out some shark fins to match the head stock. :ROTF: If I looks like crap, I'll just rip it off.

Comment

I agree. But I just ordered it ...

Might go chrome, or apply the same vinyl on top.

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                    that turned out cool! and without messing up the guitar in an irreversable manner. the trussrod cover looks dorky though.

Comment

I might, if the pickups and bridge I ordered don't show up soon

Takes a bit of time and patience though ....

Got to blow dry and rub it on an inch at a time to avoid bubbles.

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                      It actually looks quite nice. Are you planning to use the same texture on the body as well?

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk333 View Post
                        I might, if the pickups and bridge I ordered don't show up soon

Takes a bit of time and patience though ....

Got to blow dry and rub it on an inch at a time to avoid bubbles.
                        In that case i might actually buy it from E-bay

Comment

Now he wants to jack with the sharkies I cant bear this thread any more.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

straycat, look at the bright side; at least we talked him out of sanding the face of the headstock
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Lame.

Comment

why say that man thats just rude
                                he can do what he wants with his guitar
                                i wouldnt of vinlyed over it but what hes done is a great job it looks really cool

i really hate it when people just come into a thread and give someone a hard time for no reason
                                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Working...
                                X