FLOYD ROSE vs KAHLER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FLOYD ROSE vs KAHLER

Yes, those two above together are both PAF's. Black is the pro and cjrome is the standard. The gold PAF above is steel ringed, but brass cam and rollers. The chrome one has the typical PAF chrome plated 'claws'. It is interesting to hear what D.S. means. I assumed it was a Design patent, but that makes more sense as design patents are almost always listed as "DES", not "D.S.". I bet a whole book could be dedicated to Kahlers alone [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

This has been very educational, Jim. Thanks!

Let's do it again sometime.

Gotoh SG-36's anyone? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ask yogadork, I have some experience there too.

Comment

Originally posted by slo100:
          Do we have any gold Kahlers with steel saddles in the house?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Dave-&gt;
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I believe I have that very same trem on my '84 Dean baby Z.

Comment

I know where a brass PAF kahler is but you have to buy the(jap) dean baby "Z" to get it
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

OOPS!! I think thats the one CG has sorry [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks, Dave!

Can anyone decipher this...sorry but it cracks me up:

(b) an elongate tailpiece member having a generally L-shaped vertical cross-sectional configuration including generally horizontal and vertical leg portions, said tailpiece member being arranged in said recess and connected with said block for rotation about a longitudinal axis adjacent the free edge of said vertical leg portion, thereby to provide camming action to said rotating tailpiece member;
                  www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Hey CG did you buy the dean baby "Z" I told you about?BTW I got your PM on the greco Thanks.I PM'd you back but your PM thingy is full. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Can anyone decipher this...sorry but it cracks me up:

(b) an elongate tailpiece member having a generally L-shaped vertical cross-sectional configuration including generally horizontal and vertical leg portions, said tailpiece member being arranged in said recess and connected with said block for rotation about a longitudinal axis adjacent the free edge of said vertical leg portion, thereby to provide camming action to said rotating tailpiece member;
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Aren't you glad you're not a patent attorney? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

With heavy springs and a well tuned nut the Kahler is a fine unit. They are definitely more forgiving doing setups and intonation!

Tone wise they will provide a thicker tone than a Floyd, especially the brass versions. I prefer these to the steel.

At the end of the day there is no better solution to staying in tune (for a trem) than a blocked Floyd Rose.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have the heavy springs in my Kelly and they definately make a huge difference. You can put 11's on that one if you wanted to. Interesting how you brought up the different metals. This is another area of preferance. I personally prefer the tone of the true professional model which is all steel over the standard model with brass cam/saddle rollers.

Comment

Bret & Jim,I can't thank you both enough,very cool info,Thanx bros!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

I'm going to go off topic here taking the thread back to the original topic for a second [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A properly set up Floyd will stay in tune no matter what you do. To me a Kahler is no more useful than a Bigsby. Fine for a little wavering vibrato if you stick to Brian Setzer and Chet Atkins licks. The Kahler is a problem at both string ends. You have a nut to bind on in front of the lock and also don't lock the strings at the bridge. They just don't stay in tune. I'll take a Floyd any day over a Kahler.

Comment

Sorry but I've got to disagree here. I played an SD Rhoads w/Kahler for years. I NEVER had a tuning problem and I used the bar like crazy - dive bombs, flicks, pull ups, you name it. I miss that guitar [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I currently have two guitars with Kahlers, one Jackson/Schaller FR, a Speedloader FR, a couple vintage strat trems, a couple modern strat trems, and a Bigsby. For the strat style non-locking ones I can't go too crazy but they do fine for up to Jeff Beck style usage - I find that the Fender Super Bullet strings work better with those trems. The bigsby is not that great - I don't use it much when I play that guitar. The guitar that has the Speedloader is a JEM that used to have an Ibanez low-pro (or whatever they call it). That Ibanez setup sucked - I have no idea how Steve Vai keeps his guitars in tune with that setup.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I have to agree with you Tim. I have and had many Kahler equipped guitars and they all perform as good as Floyds as far as tuning stability goes. Be sure the rollers are rolling, the locknut is actually locking the strings (often they are worn out and not really locking the strings) and the strings are stretched and it should be stable. Sure, I would prefer a Floyd over a Kahler at the end of the day, but mainly for feel and because it is what I am used to. Now if I had to choose between a Kahler and a JT6, I will take the Kahler hands down. If Kerry King can use a Kahler without headaches, then anyone can.

Comment

Working...
                                X