FLOYD ROSE vs KAHLER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FLOYD ROSE vs KAHLER

I have had a guitar with a FLoyd for over ten years, and I love it. It stays in tune great, but I don't reallt do any crazy whammy stuff. I picked up a mod 4 with a Kahler last year, and I really like it too. The Kahler has a stiffer feel to it (I am heavy handed) and I think the fine tuners are a little more precise. It is mcuh cooler if you tinker with string height and spacing. However, trying to find parts is a giant pain. And when you do, they are often expensive. So, I think FLoyds are great "set it and forget it" type bridges, whereas the Kahlers allow you to fine tune your setup a bit more.

Comment

Kahler = girls trem

Floyd = mans trem

It is that simple.

Anybody that thinks that a Floyd is more sensitive than a Kahler has never actually used a Floyd. A Floyd requires more brute force to use, the Kahler is a little girly wiggle stick that will NOT stay in tune.

Comment

Floyds arn't that much of a hassle, just bad when compared to a stoptail or something. I just got my first Kahler a few weeks ago, and while I was worried at first. I'm really enjoying it. Easy to palm mute with, and feels really stable.

But in the end, I don't think you could go wrong with either. It's all a matter of personal taste.

Comment

The Floyd is going to get the most votes, whether you agree or not, it's the more common tremolo. Any tremolo can be harder to set up than a fixed bridge especially if it floats. You have to have the know how to get it right so you can play it right. Look above at how to set up the Floyd in a permanent thread here.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Metalcop:
            Kahler = girls trem

Floyd = mans trem

It is that simple.

Anybody that thinks that a Floyd is more sensitive than a Kahler has never actually used a Floyd. A Floyd requires more brute force to use, the Kahler is a little girly wiggle stick that will NOT stay in tune.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] And if you want to be an even bigger man, attach four or five springs on your Floyd instead of the normal three! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Try five springs on a 25' scale 7-string strung with .010's, girleyman...

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Once you set it up and intonate properly as long as you use the same string gauges (and make too) you shouldn't have to dick with it very much.

I really don't know where all the bad rap on Floyds comes from, perhaps the cheap knock offs, I don't know. They are not a pain to me and all of my guitars except one have Floyd Rose Originals. I don't like Kahlers very much at all.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I´ve had about 10 guitars with both OFR and licensed Floyds, and one (Model 6) with a Kahler.
                  Conclusion: I like the Kahler better.
                  If you´re a heavy trem abuser you might be better off with an OFR. If youre not, i think the Kahler will do the job quite nicely. It´s great for palm muting, and "blends" perfectly with the rest of the guitar.
                  I don´t like the licensed floyds at all, but that´s just my opinion...

//Jonzkij

Comment

Kahler = girls trem

Floyd = mans trem

It is that simple.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You just don't have the skill to use and maintain a Kahler so that it WILL stay in tune. Are you sure your macho Floydian speech isn't overcompensating for your latent "tendencies"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Kahler = girls trem

Floyd = mans trem

It is that simple.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Its funny, I heard the same thing about Jackson guitars, and that only real men play Fenders and Gibsons..............

Comment

With heavy springs and a well tuned nut the Kahler is a fine unit. They are definitely more forgiving doing setups and intonation!

Tone wise they will provide a thicker tone than a Floyd, especially the brass versions. I prefer these to the steel.

At the end of the day there is no better solution to staying in tune (for a trem) than a blocked Floyd Rose.
                        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I must admit that I had experience with Kahler trems (Pro) only once, that was in 1983. And in that year everybody used Kahler trems on their guitars. Gibson, Guild, Jackson, Charvel, Aria Pro. It was one year before the Floyd Rose craze began (though it has been on the market for a few years already). I had to have a Kahler on my Fender Lead III. But after a year I started to hate it, as the sustain was less, as the have been too many screws and bolts involved with that unit's construction, so, away with the Fender and the crappy Kahler and strap on the new Kramer w/Floyd Rose trem. After playing several FR-equipped guitars since '86, I found out last year when I bought my fist trem-less guitar (Gibson RD Artist) how seldom I use the trem at all. I think the bad rap about Floyds come from people who just don't know how to adjust a Floyd (I use the original FR or the Schaller FR II only, I think the copies are crap). But speaking of Kahler again, Adrian Belew still uses Kahlers on his Fender Strats, and he uses them a lot. And I learned to love the Fender Am. Std. trem too, I'd like to try the Fender locking trem a little more in the near future (Fender Floyd), I think it would be cool on Jackson/Charvel guitars too, seems to have a nice vintage vibe/look.

Comment

Originally posted by nor:
                            Try five springs on a 25' scale 7-string strung with .010's, girleyman...

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I will one up you... try a 25.5 scale 7 string with 5 springs and a Floyd strung up 11-70
                            [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Kahlers dont like 10-52s or 11s tuned standard, thats why i got rid of all my kahler'd guitars

Comment

Can you please define "True" Pro and "Standard" Pro? These are terms I am unfamiliar with and not present in any Kahler literature I have seen so far.

The original Kahler Pro 2300 series came with brass rollers and cam. Subsequent models had steel rollers and cam as an option. I don't know of them ever changing the name or of a "True" and "Standard" series.

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                                www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Working...
                                X