No announcement yet.

Darken the fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the other day I was at walmart, I saw some lemon oil wipes and it says they can be used to recondition the wood and for bringing a shine. Has anyone tried them? Seems like the fretdoctor and other products are all lemon oil based.
    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
      Me too
      Me three! I've been using it since I started playing again almost 3 years ago. FWIW, the smell doesn't linger that long plus it tells you it's working.
      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
        the other day I was at walmart, I saw some lemon oil wipes and it says they can be used to recondition the wood and for bringing a shine. Has anyone tried them? Seems like the fretdoctor and other products are all lemon oil based.
        Read this:

http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Article...brd%20oil.html
        Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
          Lemon oil will naturally darken the board. Of course you will have to keep oiling the board to keep it dark because once the lemon oil evapourates it's back to square one. I've had good luck with the Dr Stringfellow (Kyser) stuff.
          The so-called "Lemon oil" you get is usually lemon scented mineral oil. This is *not* going to do anything good for your fingerboard. Mineral oil is not a penetrating oil so it really isn't of much use. So if your fingerboard is dry it will remain dry (but it might smell better).
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Lemon oil is a great cleaner, but it will help condition the wood a tiny bit. Anything with mineral oil will help. Jackson/Charvel recommends Vaseline, Jimmy D'Acquisto, the acoustic guitar maker, recommends motor oil. I've heard of people using baby oil as well.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a question...
              For those who used leather dye...
              Does it come off when you play ?
              Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Jackson/Charvel recommends Vaseline
                So.... that is what the custom shop has been doing...

Just kidding... Seriously, you can use Vaseline on ebony boards also?

-Nate
                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  I've heard of people using baby oil as well.
                  that is just mineral oil with scent. just like lemon oil. if you get real lemon oil that's a good thing.

- Newc

Comment

That has nothing to do with conditioning your fingerboard. That's for you so you can handle their customer service and pricing.

- Newc

Comment

I don't want to highjack this, but how does Fender get the maple necks and frets boards like on the 50's Reissue Strats so deep colored and shiny? I'd love to do that to my Squier...

Comment

If I am not wrong, cleaning maple necks is different than cleaning a rosewood. My guitar teacher had a 80's MIM start and its neck was so shiny that you just couldn't resist picking up the guitar. he recommended GHS guitar polish.

A Noob as I was, I tried applying that to my Ibanez's rosewood...bad mistake.
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
                          So.... that is what the custom shop has been doing...

Just kidding... Seriously, you can use Vaseline on ebony boards also?

-Nate
                          Yeah, it's just mineral oil. Just a little dab will do ya.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            That has nothing to do with conditioning your fingerboard. That's for you so you can handle their customer service and pricing.
                            Actually, I think they just give it to you dry now. Custom Shop Vaseline costs too much these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                              Good stuff Leo. Thanks for the post!
                              No problem

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post

If you are referring to the "Fret Doctor" that I posted the link to, then no, it's not "lemon oil" based.

Like what others have already said, what's usually sold as "lemon oil" in music stores and hardware stores is just mineral oil with lemon scent. Or worse, petroleum byproducts with lemon scent.

In either case, these mis-labelled "lemon oil" won't do much for your fretboard. In many cases, they clean the fretboard a little bit, and dries it out a bit... that's it. They don't actually "condition" the fretboard.

I don't know what they put in it, but it's not mineral oil, it's not petroleum byproducts, and from what I read on their website, it's very similar to the natural oils that woods are supposed to have, so that it penetrates the wood and actually does condition it.

Hence the reason why it brings out the natural grain, while restoring it to a darker, more "original" color.

After typing all that, I think they should give me an endorsement deal

Comment

Working...
                                X