No announcement yet.

EVH pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...so how does one go about getting one of these EVH Duncan pickups?..a 78?...I was pointed towards a Dimarzio FRED to nail the EVH tone...I think it does a pretty good job, but if there's something better I'm down with trying it out...

Comment

ahh, wash a lot of dishes, flip a few burgers, ask "would you like fries with that?" a few hundred times for about a week and then go to MF or AMS, or possibly even Matts Music above, or maybe somewhere else. Personally, A 45day guarantee and ship to Canada would be a big factor for me in addition to best price.
      Last edited by charvelguy; 06-23-2007, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE View Post
        I posted this in another thread a while back but it has to do with John Suhr doing some work for EVH and he had a chance to check out the Frankie. It sounds like the ES335 wound hotter but also broken.

"I have no clue what he was doing there, but Suhr told me (this was around 2003) he was doing work for Eddie and he checked out Eddies Frankenstein guitar. He said he could make me a pick-up that was almost identical to his "frankie" p/u. Suhr said the pick-up was actually broken all of these years and one of the coils was almost dead. So EVH's humbucker was inbetween a single coil and a humbucker. Real low output..."

:ROTF:
        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE View Post
          I posted this in another thread a while back but it has to do with John Suhr doing some work for EVH and he had a chance to check out the Frankie. It sounds like the ES335 wound hotter but also broken.

"I have no clue what he was doing there, but Suhr told me (this was around 2003) he was doing work for Eddie and he checked out Eddies Frankenstein guitar. He said he could make me a pick-up that was almost identical to his "frankie" p/u. Suhr said the pick-up was actually broken all of these years and one of the coils was almost dead. So EVH's humbucker was inbetween a single coil and a humbucker. Real low output..."
          yes you are right and ANYONE that has played the 25K frankie will agree with you
          I played one briefly that was at GC(my bud is the head guitar salesman) through a jcm 800KK head and cab and
          what shocked me most is that the pup had a very low output and was almost P-90 sounding?
          it sounded nothing like the dimarzio or wolf pups or even the EVH art pup?
          also the neck on these in NOTHING like i thought it would be
          it was not superwide/thin like eddie said he prefered
          i guess the original neck(large headstocked lynn ellsworth one on the first record cover) was that way but this boogie bodies one is more like a fender strat
          I would NEVER pay 25 grand for this guitar since i could own several real deal 1981 san dimas strats instead and they blow the frankie out of the water
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

On the cd rom that came with the EVH frankie issue of guitar world the tech said he took the pickup off to OHM it out and it couldnt be measured. They freaked out because they thought they busted it.They reinstalled it and it worked fine. Its true the EVH frankie pickup was broken..Im sure EVH broke it while trying to make it sound better. He is a bit of an idiot. He plays well but not the sharpest tack in the box ya know..

Comment

savage - resurrecting several year-old or more dead threads about the EVH pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                On the cd rom that came with the EVH frankie issue of guitar world the tech said he took the pickup off to OHM it out and it couldnt be measured. They freaked out because they thought they busted it.They reinstalled it and it worked fine. Its true the EVH frankie pickup was broken..Im sure EVH broke it while trying to make it sound better. He is a bit of an idiot. He plays well but not the sharpest tack in the box ya know..
                yeah he explained in another interview that the pup had gotten broken because he picks very hard and the high E gets stuck in the bobbins and one of the windings must have broke
                he claims it lost output but he liked the tone so he did not care if it was working 100% or not.
                what i dont get is that ANY pup that makes a sound should have a reading no matter what?
                in his case the pup did not get any reading at all?????????
                I have rewound/potted/tested/played/modded over 40 pups for myself and others and have never seen any pup that read 0 ohms and still sounded great?
                i THINK ONCE AGAIN eddie and co are pulling the wool over our eyes
                so we cant run out and buy just the pup
                I played the 25K frankie and that pup does sound odd for a bucker, it has a distinctive p-90 like tone and is pretty low in output
                if i had to say it i would say it has a telecaster type tone but with the fatness of a bucker!
                I think this pup would probably come real close to that one !
                http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/DimarzioDP163.html
                Last edited by savage; 06-17-2008, 01:20 PM.
                If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I was lucky enough to snag an EVH Art series pup off of eBay a few weeks ago. I figure, I wont be affording an EVH any time soon, so this would be the next best thing. Ill put it in a similar wood bodied guitar, probably my Model 2 with a Model 1 neck!
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

uneven coils are the new Boutique technique trend for pickup makers.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
                      he used a duncan custom-custom in all his KRAMER 5150 strats
                      and then a dimarzio copy of that in the bridge of his EBMM sig guitar
                      Was the Custom Custom even around back then?

Anyway, I heard the DiMarzios in the EBMM model were pretty much a Tone Zone or Air Zone for the bridge and possibly an Air Norton for the neck. Anyone know?
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have heard it's basically a Tone Zone in the bridge, I suppose no one would hear a difference if Ed was playing it at least.

Comment

A music store by me sell's some pretty high end stuff and I asked then about the frankinstien guitar and they sold 4 of them! Like dam can't believe people would pay 26g's for a guitar. But if u have the money, then more power to ya I guess.
                          EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
                          1959Epiphone les paul
                          george L cables
                          mxr pedals
                          Engl fireball 100

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                            savage - resurrecting several year-old or more dead threads about the EVH pickup?
                            yes because most of the mystery of the pup remains

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Was the Custom Custom even around back then?

Anyway, I heard the DiMarzios in the EBMM model were pretty much a Tone Zone or Air Zone for the bridge and possibly an Air Norton for the neck. Anyone know?
                              yes but only for EVH then
                              a little later it was made in the custom shop for others then finally it became a production pup.
                              the dimarzio that is in the EBMM sig and axis guitars is basically a TZ and a air zone together
                              it is dead in the middle of those two tone and output wise
                              the AZ raised real close to the strings or a tone zone backed off pretty far is the closest anyone can get to that pup without actually buying the custom wound one off Ebay or ???
                              the neck pup is pretty much a air norton but i think the breed neck sounds even closer
                              the real main thing to the tone of the pups is the guitar they are in basswood/maple cap body,all maple neck,pups direct mounted into the wood,and of course a non floating trem

Comment

The PAF i have in my version of Frankenstien is pretty dammed close to the tone. Its backed off pretty far from the strings. Which probably helps alot. But its airy and full and had gain yet clearity. Go figure. As for the nonfunctioning senario. I had a duncn custom in my 82 San Dimas Strat head. That sounded perfect for EVH tone. But when i pulled it out to test it. Low and behold i got a shorted reading. The multimeter just jumped all over the place. For shitsngiggles i put it back in and; hey it worked and sounded just as good as it did before. So there must be something to the correct short theory. That makes the pup short out and still work. It's an odd thing at best.
                                Gil

Comment

Working...
                                X