No announcement yet.

What do you consider "good action"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you try to let them lower do they buzz?
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

i don't know how you guys with 1mm and under action can bend strings. i guess i grew up playing a 70's fender tele and there was no fucking way you could bend strings on that with 1mm action.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

my xtrr has ultra low action - i was learning a joe walsh tune last night with a shit ton of huge bends and i kept wanting to raise the action
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
          When you try to let them lower do they buzz?

I can set it lower,but it feels right like this.I can feel the bends and it tightens the sound a little bi imo.

But you're right,maybe I'm a fast player but I just don't know it yet because of my guitar's high action
          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

it can never be TOO LOW for me.

even with a compound radius board(one of the reasons I will only own a cr board) it could be lower i think most of mine are less than 1mm at the 12th on the treble and bass side. a smidge of choke on the higher register here n there, but it makes my playing easier. i won't have it any other way.

the flatter radius board, the lower the action. my tech showed me a chart. 20" is mint!!! wish i could have a fretboard with that radius!

Comment

I like my action to be 1mm at the 24th fret
              i use a dunlop 1mm pick as a gauge i set the action lower than all hell s the pick stays there in the playing position and then raise it slowly and as soon as the pick falls out as i raise the action i am good to go
              I use extreme stretch licks and 3 octave arpeggios and have to have it that low
              to execute them
              my jacksons all have excellent fret dressings and set ups so buzz is not a issue
              I do however miss some of the thicker tones that a higher action gives
              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

anything with her draped over the end of the couch is usally good for me.
                I prefer a lower action on the whole, 2mm on the treble, 3mm on the bass is fine for me. I grew up playing guitars with pretty resistive action and some strats wth maple fretboards were just beasts to play.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  I'm quite frankly surprised that many of you don't have lower action. I am pretty confident that as long as a guitar has a straight neck, that with some minor fretwork and adjustments, I can get it down to 1mm every time.
                  i could set my action lower, but i dont like it that low. ive played guitars with the strings nearly on the frets and i hated it LOL so i suppose, at least for me and maybe some others, thats it not that our guitars cant do it, its that we like a bit higher action

just personal preference. im not too picky really...as long as its not too low or too high, im good.
                  My metal band Lucian Scott
                  Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

1mm measured at the 12th, if I played that guitar it would buzz all over the place. No matter how good the set up, fret level, whatever.
                    sigpic

Comment

I always thought the better the guitar, the lower the action will go without buzzing out on the frets near the neck. I had a neck thru taht the action was sooo low and the neck was so straight that it was barely off the fretboard and seemed to not buzz at all very much. GREAT thread btw!
                      Last edited by dickdog1; 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Depending on tuning, and gauge of strings, any guitar will buzz with low action. I tune to CGCFAD, and E-flat, with 10-52s, so I can't have my action too low, or I get too much buzz.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

No definite set heights, but generally around 5/54ths on the bass side, and 3/64ths on the treble gets me in the ballpark, with a slight amount of neck relief.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

I've always liked it ultra high, 5mm at 12th fret, 3-3,5mm is the lowest I can go, anything lower than that feels and sounds like shit to me.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Somehow I missed this thread. So I'm a little late. Sue me.

I like to try a lot of different setups w/every guitar I have owned. Of all the different ways I've tried I seem to like this the best +/- a smidge.

Standard tuning - 9-42 gauge strings. Neck relief @ .010 from 7th-9th frets. W/Capo on 1st fret and E strings held down at 19th fret I usually end up with 2.0 or slightly less clearance @ 12 fret for low E and 1.5 or slightly less for the high E. I tend to noodle around with it lower and can usually make it work w/o much buzz. But it seems to be a bit of a tone sucker for me on most guitars.

I'm not sure how normal or odd my preference is but it feels right to me. Great thread BTW.
                              Last edited by T@rgetDrone; 04-13-2007, 02:50 AM.
                              In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                                when she doesn't neglect the balls.

Comment

Working...
                                X