What do you consider "good action"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dg View Post
    Sounds like you need a little bit of relief in the neck, Michael. 1mm action is going to take a pretty painstaking approach that not many techs are willing to do, plus some guitars just aren't going to go that low without buzz. Most techs are just going to tell you it needs to be raised at the bridge. You either have to find a great tech or start working on your own guitars.
    i should really start working on my own guitar.. a bit of trial and error on my cheap les paul copy wont hurt i'll still be careful, dont wanna take drastic moves with the truss rod
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
      I set my action between .010 to .012 on the low E with a feeler guage between the 6th fret and the low E string. I put a capo on the 1st fret and hold the low E sting down at the top of the 12th fret when I do the measurements.

That usually gets me 4/64 on the low E with minimal buzzing from my heavy attack.

Razor: Christ that is damned low action. What guage stings and tuning? FR? Im assuming it took very fine tuning of the neck relief to allow for this kind of action.
      Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

I try to keep it at between 1.5 and 2 mm at the 12th. Any higher and the action feels "spongy". Any lower, and I always seem to lose tone and sustain.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
          I set my action between .010 to .012 on the low E with a feeler guage between the 6th fret and the low E string. I put a capo on the 1st fret and hold the low E sting down at the top of the 12th fret when I do the measurements.

That usually gets me 4/64 on the low E with minimal buzzing from my heavy attack.
          Originally posted by JacksonWarrior View Post
          Razor: Christ that is damned low action. What guage stings and tuning? FR? Im assuming it took very fine tuning of the neck relief to allow for this kind of action.

Read his post carefully. The .010 to .012 is the relief. The action is 4/64", which is a little over 1.5mm.

Comment

when she doesn't neglect the balls.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

OHHHHH...thanks! I was gonna say....is that even possible?
              Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

I got for over 2mm now which is huge. I used to do all my setups to under 1.5mm without any buzz. Now it's closer to 2.5mm. It sounds way better and it's not much harder to play. I love it.

Comment

The loser the better!! Only if I'm running EMG's though!
                  I love admins!

Comment

I got at the 1st fret 0.9 or so...under 1mm
                    at the 12th fret 1,5mm ...there are some buzzes..
                    But the strings are 11-48 that means if I don`t hold
                    the note perfectly it buzzes
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I can put 2 JazzII picks between the strings and the fretboard.I presume that it's a bit high?

(this is for the 12th fret)
                      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

That means you have around : 2,72 or so...

a little bit to high...What gauge of strings are you using?..
                        Try to let it lower...so low as it goes without buzzing

I have on the 1st fret around 0.8-0.9 on the 12th I have 1,5
                        String gauge: 11-48(Ernie Ball Super Slinky)...
                        Normal tunning...
                        Still have a little buzz on the 1-5 on the low E and 1-3 on the A string
                        Last edited by Special-K; 12-11-2006, 05:01 PM.
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I'm quite frankly surprised that many of you don't have lower action. I am pretty confident that as long as a guitar has a straight neck, that with some minor fretwork and adjustments, I can get it down to 1mm every time.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                            I'm quite frankly surprised that many of you don't have lower action. I am pretty confident that as long as a guitar has a straight neck, that with some minor fretwork and adjustments, I can get it down to 1mm every time.
                            My first thought when I saw the 1mm actions posted was like...DAMN that's low!!!

Comment

I'm not too sure what my action is exactly. My 2mm Big Stubby's push the string a bit, so under 2mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
                                That means you have around : 2,72 or so...

a little bit to high...What gauge of strings are you using?..
                                Try to let it lower...so low as it goes without buzzing

I have on the 1st fret around 0.8-0.9 on the 12th I have 1,5
                                String gauge: 11-48(Ernie Ball Super Slinky)...
                                Normal tunning...
                                Still have a little buzz on the 1-5 on the low E and 1-3 on the A string

I've got 10-46's on a 25.5''(slsmg) guitar.E standard
                                I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Working...
                                X