No announcement yet.

Floyd rose install!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Schaller licenced Floyd is much better quality than the one that comes on the DKMG.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      The Schaller licenced Floyd is much better quality than the one that comes on the DKMG.
      So, it's worth a shot then!

Comment

Originally posted by profetaxxi View Post
        So, it's worth a shot then!
        If you're having troubles with the JT580LP, yes, certainly!

If the JT580LP is working fine, not worth it quite as much (although I personally would highly prefer the Schaller or an OFR. That's mainly because I hate to play on Lo-Pro style bridges).

Comment

Yep... there's an old saying... if it ain't broke, don't f#ck with it.
          If the current trem works and you're comfortable with it, leave it there.
          The JT-580LP is a decent enough trem.
          If you don't like LP style trems, then yea, the swap will be worth it.
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            I hasn't kept the guitar on tune, and the everytime I tight the nuts, it seems like they are going bad (cheap metal). And Yes, I've streched my strings and all.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              I've decided to replace. I'll post pics when done. So this would be a simple swap then right?
              Last edited by profetaxxi; 12-05-2006, 07:47 AM.

Comment

A word of caution: Be careful when tightening bolts on any double locking trem system! You should never use brute force when locking down the nut, etc. That can cause problems with any trem. You basically just need to make them snug.

If you're going to replace the locking nut, you may have problems, because often nuts of different manufacture are different in height. That will require either wood or metal working to correct.

If you're going to replace the trem posts, you will also have problems, because OFR/Schaller post bushings are slightly wider than the Jackson ones. That means you'd have to drill the holes out a little with a drill press before putting the new bushings in.

Other than those two issues, the swap should be very easy and non-problematic.

Comment

A word of caution: Be careful when tightening bolts on any double locking trem system! You should never use brute force when locking down the nut, etc. That can cause problems with any trem. You basically just need to make them snug.

If you're going to replace the locking nut, you may have problems, because often nuts of different manufacture are different in height. That will require either wood or metal working to correct.

If you're going to replace the trem posts, you will also have problems, because OFR/Schaller post bushings are slightly wider than the Jackson ones. That means you'd have to drill the holes out a little with a drill press before putting the new bushings in.

Other than those two issues, the swap should be very easy and non-problematic.
                  Thanks for pointing that out. As for the nuts, I just want to get some gold ones, for the trem posts I can still use the same ones that are already in place right? and pretty much just sit the new FR in.

Comment

Originally posted by profetaxxi View Post
                    for the trem posts I can still use the same ones that are already in place right? and pretty much just sit the new FR in.
                    Correct, there shouldn't be any problems with that.

The only snag you may hit, is if you put an OFR in it and downtune the guitar a lot. An OFR has really long locking bolts, so after intonation the 6th string locking bolt may overshoot the trem route. In case that happens, you could probably take the locking bolt to a metal working workshop and ask them to shorten it for you.

Comment

So then the OFR bridge posts will not fit into the jt580 bridge post bushings? I also wonder, if the jt580 (mine's and older one) had cheap metal for the baseplate, were the studs also cheaper? Wouldn't OFR studs be better? In any case, my studs are shot. I was trying to "improve" them...

Comment

The studs on the OFR and the 580 are made of the same kind of metal. The shape is slightly different but they will still work for either trem.
                        OFR studs are a tiny bit bigger, that's why you can't just swap 'em out without doing a bit of drilling first.
                        -Rick

Comment

Correct, there shouldn't be any problems with that.

The only snag you may hit, is if you put an OFR in it and downtune the guitar a lot. An OFR has really long locking bolts, so after intonation the 6th string locking bolt may overshoot the trem route. In case that happens, you could probably take the locking bolt to a metal working workshop and ask them to shorten it for you.
                          I won't be downtuning at all. So everything should be just fine. Thanks again man! I'm getting the FR next week. Will probally post some pics by the end of next week. So long!

Comment

Hello Everybody.

I also have a DKMG and want to change the bridge over to the better quality OFR. Does doing this swap from a JT580LP to OFR require any shimming due to the differences in radius between the bridges? I've searched the forum but can't find any info on radius issues for a JT580LP to OFR swap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                            X