I need a killer pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need a killer pickup

The JB isn´t a heavy pickup imho, and that´s why I like it so much [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The Jb is mid range sweet and has a really good tone. It is considered a distortion class pickup at about 14.6 ohms dc resistance. and the distortion is about 16.4 ohms dc resistance. The invader is about 18.4 and really hot. The JB cleans up much better and is really good sounding.
      The distortion is a bit gritty when clean and the Invader is gritty when clean. But putting a resister on the volume pot left lug to the chassis and rolling down the volume pot a bit wll help that by lowering the overall output of the pup while still maintaning its clearity.
      Gil

Comment

I like the sound of the JB in my Ibanez, but in my Rhoads I am not happy with it. In my case, when I put the JB in the Rhoads, which is naturally brighter than the Ibanez, the mids came out more. I think the Ibanez is dark sounding enough to really make the extra cut of the mids in the JB work well, but thats just my experience.

Comment

Dimarzio Tone Zone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

What do you guys think of 'the breed' by dimarzio, i ordered one of these humbuckers, how would they sound in a maple neckthru rhoads with poplar wings? apparently maple is bright, and the beed are acentuated in the mids and lows, this sounds like a good balance, or does it? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            Cheers

Comment

Hmm. I can COMPLETELY contrast with Newc's evaluation of the JB - I find it to be one of the best for getting a gain-saturated sound, as it remains clear and warm without getting shrill like the Distortion does. I use a JB and a Jazz, and flip the switch to having both pickups on with my clean sound. I do have to play a little more articulately in that mode, though, or I can overdrive my FX processor.

Two caveats:
              1. I'm using the JB7 all the time these days, but I got similar results from the six-string version. The Jazz sounds better for clean than the '59s in all my other guitars.

2. I use a Triple Recto, so amount of gain is nto a problem. If you need more gain/brightness than that, you're doing something wrong. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

However, for super-crunchy with a lot of midrange to cut through, the EMG81 is a popular choice. I used to use an 81/89 combo myself. I like how their 707 sounds a bit better, actually - it's about mid-way between the 81 and 85, for a bit more warmth.

As always, YMMV.

Mike
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

85 in the bridge!

has anyone tried the duncan EVH?
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

try a dimarzio super distortion 3.i use one with two fast track 2s in my left handed charvel 475.rewired the mid boost into tone control for middle pickup and kept the other tone control for the neck pickup only.super distortion 3 rocks.

Comment

This thread's almost 3 years old. Why the hell did you bump it?!? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Probably thought the board didn't bump old threads so he can crank up his post count unseen [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Bareknuckle Nailbomb is a f*cking good one. Crazy gain, power and clarity but cleans up very well. Very tight tone and ear piercing lead sound.
                        93 USA Soloist EDS
                        USA HT6 Juggernaut
                        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

It just so happens I have a spare pickup out of a Killer, will that do? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            What do you guys think of 'the breed' by dimarzio, i ordered one of these humbuckers, how would they sound in a maple neckthru rhoads with poplar wings? apparently maple is bright, and the beed are acentuated in the mids and lows, this sounds like a good balance, or does it? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the Breed Neck pickup in the bridge position on certain guitars (hate it in the neck position). Like you said very articulate bass and mids that I found brings out a lot of rich harmonics. Have mainly used it on set-neck all mahogany guitars, so don't know how it would sound with maple neck-thru and poplar. You may get too much presense with that combination. I found the mahogany "darkness" balances the Breed neck model's very strong clearity, even through the pickup tonal balance is very weighted to the mids and bass. Dimarzio has a good exchange policy so try it any if don't like, exchange it.

Comment

I've wasted alot of money on high gain pick-ups and am always disappointed. It's really personal preference. I personally love the EMG 81 and always end up with it in my guitars. Great cut throat metal sound. I bought the dimebucker last year just because I thought it would have to be good. It was in my guitar for about an hour. Probably the worst p/u I've ever heard, for my taste anyway. Seems to be all treble and palm muting just kills it. No balls at all IMO. I still have it just sitting in the box.

Comment

I've been digging the Rio Grande Crunchbox/Punchbox combo in my 750xl. Nice Balance, high-output, cleans up well when backing off the vol, even sounds good with the coils split.
                                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
                                X