Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you dye a board safely with the frets on?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dye works good, but wears off. When I built this guitar, I dyed the board using the Stew Mac stuff. Let it dry in the sun, recoated a few times in hopes that it would reall soak in. But none the less, its wearing off almost everywhere I play. And dont try to clean the board, thatll really take it off.

No updated pics, but believe me when I say its wearing off. Kinda sucks, I really liked the ebony look.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Wow! Great thread on sevenstring.org Regor!

I'm gonna go get some of the leather dye soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
        How did he do that? I wanna know .

BTW, what's that India Ink you're talking about?
        The old steel wool and vinegar trick is no secret. A lot of wood workers use it with nice results. I did the model 4 neck a couple of years ago and it turned out great. The beauty of it is that it won't color binding or inlays. It's not a "dye", but rather creates some kind of chemical reaction with the wood turning it black. Here's a good description:
        http://www.wildlifeintarsiadesign.co...izing_wood.htm
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
          The old steel wool and vinegar trick is no secret. A lot of wood workers use it with nice results. I did the model 4 neck a couple of years ago and it turned out great. The beauty of it is that it won't color binding or inlays. It's not a "dye", but rather creates some kind of chemical reaction with the wood turning it black. Here's a good description:
          http://www.wildlifeintarsiadesign.co...izing_wood.htm
          Wow, you learn something new every day!! I'ma try that out on the other guitar's fretboard and see which 'lasts' longer. As the dyed board I did is relatively new (couple months), so it'd be a good test.

Comment

Is India ink same as henna ink?...
            I don`t really like rosewood necks so I maybe want
            to dye mine neck ebony too...But I˙m affraid it will go off...
            and that would suck...
            Last edited by Special-K; 10-25-2006, 03:09 PM.
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

will the dye change the inlay color? the rosewood board i intend to dye has mop dots.

sorry, but having grey or weird colored dots due to the dye is not an option.

Comment

Didnt dye the Moto inlays at all, I cant imagine it would die MOP.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by JZ06 View Post
                  will the dye change the inlay color? the rosewood board i intend to dye has mop dots.

sorry, but having grey or weird colored dots due to the dye is not an option.
                  I can't guarantee anything on a sharkfin inlay, but the dye that got on the dots on my RG7420 came off very easily with a pencil eraser. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't let it sit on there too long. You can use a Q-Tip to soak up the dye to reduce the amount of stain on the inlay after applying the dye, and then use the pencil eraser to get rid of the rest of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                    Didnt dye the Moto inlays at all, I cant imagine it would die MOP.
                    Actually Rob, the MOP is somewhat porous and will take on a little color much easier than the plastic ones.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ah well there you go, learn something new every day!

Im thinking of trying the vinegar trick, maybe Ill get better results than the dye.

Comment

Darn it Mark, one more thing to add to the 'Pimp My Avenger' task list. LOL
                        |My CSG gallery|
                        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I have one issue now. the one chap says it ISNT permanent and rubs off?!? I never had that issue on any other ebony fretboard, so is this not a permanent fix?!?! It says PRS and other companies use it. Any reason why it wouldnt work, or is there a good chance that the ebony on that guitar WAS dyed and that blonde streak has a grain that wont accept dye?

Comment

I used it on rosewood, and coated the whole thing. Ebony is already mostly black to begin with, as opposed to rosewood which is why its probably more noticeably wearing off.

All I know is, when I play my fingers do get black.

Comment

Ahh....

Well, what sets apart ANY guitar companys ebony job from a home one then. Why did my other guitars NOT stain my fingers. More drying time?!? Soaked in the stuff?!?

Trying not to beat the thread to death, but wanna get all the questions out in the open

Comment

Totally understandable dude. I wouldn't want to do it either unless I knew it was going to work.

It may lie in the fact that the dye he used is alcohol-based. The one I used was from a store called Tandy Leather. And it's not alcohol based.

http://www.tandyleather.com/products...umber=22056-01

Maybe try the vinegar/steel wool trick?

Comment

Working...
                                X