No announcement yet.

Replacement trem for JT580LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey bro, it's all cool. Don't get all jacked up over it. I trust what you say man, it's just that there have always been differing opinions on this matter. People have obviously done the swap without any problems. I do remember the thread you're talking about, but I can't find it either. I guess what we really need is some pics, and suggestions from all angles. I can't produce any, so my opinion is the same as yours at this point....moot.
    In the "big picture"...it really doesn't matter huh? ....but unfortunately, to some people seeking "the truth" it DOES matter.
    This is a prime example of where the "resources" section of this board will realy shine. I think with all of our input from real experiences, some day it will happen. For now, we can argue all we want, but the real truth may never be known about some topics like this one.
    Last edited by mm2002; 07-31-2006, 01:32 AM.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002

Other than that, I don't know. I've never seen a short block for the Schallers (or JT590), but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Does it? For that one reason only, I wouldn't consider the 590 as a "drop in" replacement.....
      The Schaller and OFR blocks are 100% identical and both available from Schaller in 32, 37 and 42mm lengths, with or w/o trem assembly.

Also, all JT-590 came with a 32mm block after 1990 and a 37mm during the "toothpaste era", as they were all recessed and 42mm blocks would have stuck out the back.... I´ve actually never seen a factory mounted 590 with a 42mm block, only on ebay...

But again, be wary of the intonation when swapping to a Schaller.... OFR, Gotoh and Ibanez Edge Trems will not have this issue.

As far as the Takeuchi TRS Pro fitting: of course it will, just like the Ibanez Lo Pro TRS II, Washburn S-600LP, Vester/ Samick SFT-70LP and many others. Because it´s the exact same trem... but I though the point of the post was an upgrade, not keeping the same so-so squality?
      Last edited by Zerberus; 07-31-2006, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
        As far as the Takeuchi TRS Pro fitting: of course it will, just like the Ibanez Lo Pro TRS II, Washburn S-600LP, Vester/ Samick SFT-70LP and many others. Because it´s the exact same trem... but I though the point of the post was an upgrade, not keeping the same so-so squality?
        Very true! I just added that so nobody would say "hey, what about the Takeuchi?"

Comment

Hey, what about the Takeuchi?

Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
            Hey, what about the Takeuchi?

henrik, don't you have some catalogs to scan or something?

Comment

Mark, you're funny! I ran out of catalogs, man, would you believe it!? So it's back to posting annoying questions on JCF, haha.

Actually, the true, overall answer to this tremolo confusion has always been so evasive. We've tried numerous times, but thanks to Floyd Rose, Schaller and Jackson/Charvel it's a total mess.

I have wanted many times, to put down on paper, a 100% fail proof list of which trems could replace said trems, but small variations and different measures, peoples contradictive feedbacks + a lot of other funky and confusing info has made it impossible to me. Darn it!
              Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                henrik, don't you have some catalogs to scan or something?

Comment

You guys are just awesome!

Comment

hey all you guys that have swapped the 580LP fot an OFR how low can you tune the guitar before the end pins start to rub the rear of the route ? I was thinking maybe a whole step down including correct intonation. Im asking as ive just got my brand spanking new 2006 KE3 in Trans black & kinda debating if to swap the 580LP for a OFR. Ive had the guitar for a week & decided to mod it so i changed the neck for a mint DXMG one i had left over. I dont think on this guitar i will ever tune lower than Eb as i have another KE3 thats getting a refin & upgraded that i'll use for lower tunings. so the end pins should be fine on the 2006 kelly shouldn't they?

Comment

Personally I've had no problems with the JT580, I'm quite happy with mine.

Comment

Has anyone dropped in the GOTOH GE1996T with good results. i was thinking of putting one in an old KE3 body thats getting upgraded at the moment. Im just worried about intonation problems on all these (Drop in replacements for the JT580LP) I thought about the OFR but can't be bothered worrying bout the end pins catching the rear of the route.

Comment

Here's a custom RX10D I did for a fellow forum member. The OFR string lock bolts didn't come anywhere close to the rear of the route. I do remember some that were a problem though. Maybe that was just with some of the older routes? I can't really remember.

Last edited by mm2002; 08-02-2006, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Interesting
                            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Maybe it's time a chart was made detailing what trem can be used to replace another? Something like that could be very useful, instead of having to glean bits and pieces of info from threads everywhere.
                              Just a guitar player...

Comment

You got the job, texasfury! Congrats! If you can pull that off, we will be forever grateful. As a said earlier, it will be a tough job, putting together a chart everybody agrees on.

Hit it, bro!
                                Henrik

Comment

Working...
                                X