Kahler vs. Floyd Rose - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hippietim
    sorry, but that's just not true. a lot of folks have been very happy and successful with a number of these so-called "cheap imitations". there are some very good floyd variants out there including the schaller licensed floyds, some of the ibanez variants, etc.

a lot of folks have been very successful with kahler's so they do not unilaterally suck.
    +1
    To this day, the best Floyd I have ever used was a "cheap imitation".
    It's in my Ibanez. The original Edge Trem on my RG stays in tune better and is more responsive than the OFR on my PC1.
    I've been down right brutal with it at times... even to the point where I snapped the entire arm socket off. It still came back to zero.
    I've only had to intonate it once in the 19 years I've had it.

I don't care for Kahlers mainly because they just don't feel right too me.
    But that is a personal preference thing and has nothing to do with their abilities as a trem.
    -Rick

Comment

I've had Ibanez's low pro trem and it faired pretty good.
      Even so Ibanez suck.
      Had a couple of kahlers and they truly sucked and still do imo.
      kalhlers and me don't agree.
      Did the cheap generic floyd lisc version and it did okay, better than a kahler. Than, when I did OFR, I realized what I was missing and haven't looked back since. Thats been about ten years now. If it isn't an OFR its dog meat, the rest pale in comparision.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Annah
        Wow, cool. Good info, thank you. Perhaps I'll just go for a new OFR replacement on my 93 and stick with that on my new RR1.
        Annah,
        If you are looking for a source for an OFR, I have had the best service through www.guitarpartsdepot.com Their website will tell you if the finish you want (Chrome, Black or Gold) is in stock. They are quick with Priority Mail. They also stock parts. I've also bought from the "Red headed Leprechan" on occasion, but avoid it when I can. Since I found Guitar Parts Depot, I don't bother with anyone else. Oh, and I forgot, Scott at VWall guitars stocks a lot of parts and Trems as well.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
          Three words.
          "Original Floyd Rose"..OFR.
          OFR is the only way to fly, anything else is a cheap imitation.
          Kahler's suck bottomline.
          Way to go dude. Be blind.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Here we go again!

I stay away from Kahlers, because I'm afraid of them.

As far as I've read here, a Kahler will require a little more upkeep, with oiling twice a year (?) and whatnot. If you dig it, maybe you should try one? You may like it.

If the saddles on your JT590 are slipping, it may be that the threads for the intonation locking screws are starting to get bad. The 590 doesn't have hardened steel inserts for the screws like the real Schallers do.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
              Way to go dude. Be blind.
              Thank you my friend.. this has proven to be an awakening for me.
              I feel much better and my eyes truly have been opened, NOT. Sarcasm indeed. I got nothing but love for ya, NOT. Sarcasm indeed.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

Kahlers get a bad rap because people don't know how to maintain them. They have to be cleaned and oiled regularly, but if they are they work flawlessly. The behind-the nut lock is not as sturdy as a Floyd nut, but it works fine too.

When you say they suck and only an OFR is the shit, you only display your own ignorance. There's nothing wrong with BEING ignorant, only when you insist on STAYING ignorant do you look stupid. If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em, but the problem is with the operator, not the trem.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I use to hate Kahlers, that was when I was ignorant,I prefer Floyd's,but properly set-up, and maintained Kahlers work GREAT!
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Wow, you know if you would have read one of my former posts FIRST you might LEARN alittle something. Don't be so froggy to jump before you know.
                    Talk about ignorance...
                    Last edited by Soap; 05-17-2006, 05:55 PM.

Comment

it is all about preference .. I personally don't mind kahlers at all.. my only beef was the cheesy thin bars so I replaced all mine with 1/4" bars...

I have guitars with Kahlers, Floyds, Hardtails.. they all have their own appeal ...
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

When I was speaking about ignorance, I was refering to myself, nothing to do with anyone else at all, lets pipe down.
                        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I wasn't even refferring to you...instead "lerxy."
                          But since you felt compelled to pipe up,.....You pipe down.
                          Last edited by Soap; 05-17-2006, 06:53 PM.

Comment

let me get my pipe
                            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Wow, we are back in the Floyd/Kahler debate. Should we make this a sticky? I guess it depends on the guitar and the user and setup. We should give a bunch or guitars to Mercedes and let them destroy the Trems and see what comes out in the end

Yea, Scott, I should have mentioned you first. Sorry about that. I'm on brain fade. What's great is you can set them up too if needed! Look for my old Performance guitar with the Kahler coming soon. That is unless, HippieTim gets to it first
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I´ve had a few JT 590´s and the baseplate on those gives me a headache. The threads seem to strip real easily. Well the good thing is that one can get replacement parts that have hardened metal inserts for 25 bucks. JT 590 is good but I still like OFR better. It feels a lot sturdier. I feel a lo pro edge is equally good or even better than an OFR.
                                I haven´t tried Kahler but without maintenance any kind of tremolo will go sour.

Comment

Working...
                                X