No announcement yet.

Waterslide Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hm....aren't you shooting urethane over lacquer? i thought that you were.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully
      hm....aren't you shooting urethane over lacquer? i thought that you were.
      Don't feel alone Sully, I'm confused too. OK, so exactly what "base color paint" are you using??? Is it a single stage two part poly color??? If so, then you don't even need to clear it. If it is a single stage polyester base color, then use the clear lacquer under the decals, before applying the poly clear.

Let me see if I can put this simpler:

#1. Prime/sand/base coat the body.
      #2. Spray clear lacquer over the base coat where decals will be applied.
      #3. Fine sand lacquer(or base coat)/Apply decals.
      #4. Apply poly clear.
      #5. Sand and buff.

If you're using a single stage color, omit step 2.

I really hate that I suck so bad at explaining things, but I know what I'm trying to say!
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Well, Mark is saying to shoot some clear laquer over the urethan base, prior to laying down the waterslides, and that just doesn't sound right to me, and I'm just trying to get some verification of what he said, before I go any further. After the waterslides are installed (they DO have a clear laquer seal on them), THEN, I will have the urethane clearcoats layed on.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Well, after almost 4 weeks of waiting, I finally got the guitar back, with the white Urethane base, layed down, and I am just about to apply the waterslide graphics. I must say, mocking it up, quickly, with the graphics, hardware and all, I think it looks pretty cool. Let's hope it CONTINUES to go as smoothly. Oh, and if you hear a rather loud "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" eminating from outside, far off in the distance, you know I just f#$*ed up on the waterslides! Pray for me!
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Well, the walls didn't come crumbling down, and dogs all over the area didn't cry out, all at once, due to a barrage of high-pitched wails, so, as you can surmise, the decals are applied, and fairing rather well. Sully, I took your advice, and used the wet brush tip, and it worked, nicely. Many thanks to you.
            Here's a quick snap of the decals, applied:

All in all, not too shabby. I just hope I get it to him, in one piece, and he doesn't sand into them, trying to prep anything. Oh, in case you are wondering why the paranoia, I forgot to mention that bad luck tends to follow me, VERY closely. You see, I have this Midas touch: Everything I touch turns into a muffler!
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

That looks promising. Can't wait to see those waterslide's to pop up in color when the clear coat is on. Is it on a snow white or pearl white base?

The compatible waterslide paper: who makes it and where did you get it? Price per sheet?

I wonder if the clear coat will protect the ink from fading. Did you print using an ink jet printer? I wonder how that stands up to direct sunlight.
              Last edited by jackson1; 05-07-2006, 12:56 PM.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

is that a chandler body? i've got 2 of those, and they're two of my best sounding guitars.

the only thing i'd worry about it the prep-sol wipedown before he clears it. i don't think it'll bother the lacquer coat, but i guess there's a possibility. that said, i'm 98.3% sure you'll be fine.

looks good!
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That looks sharp... I hope your luck doesn't change 'cause that looks like it is going to turn out nice

Comment

Thanks, gents.

Jackson1: It's on a snow white base. I had the option of pearl white, since he happened to have a Caddie, there, in pearl, and they were having colormatch problems, but I really wanted that super-contrast of snow white, with black hardware. This guitar is sort of a tribute to my metal roots. In the vein of a Warrent Demartini guitar.
                    I got the paper, on evilbay. 5 sheets cost me about $6, before shipping. I used them through my Epson Stylus C80 printer. This printer is somewhat unique (at least it WAS when I bought it years ago), in that most printer inks are dye based. This one uses pigment based inks. The review I read at PCWorld said they did a b&w text print, on plain paper, and thew it out into the rain, and it did NOTHING to the print, so that sold me. That, plus the fact that the guitar is not gonna sit out, in the sun, getting a tan leads me to believe that it SHOULD hold up for some time. If it doesn't? Ah, so what. Give me an excuse to refin.

Sully: Yup, that's a Chandler. Good eye! It's alder, and if it's anything like my alder strat, I will LOVE the tone. Can't wait to get it cleared, assemble it, and jam on it. Got a last minute gig, on Saturday, but this things not gonna be ready for it (sniff). Taking tomorrow off, so I can finish some outside work. Will drop it off to him, Tuesday a.m., say a prayer, and hope that it comes back, in one piece, cleared, and ready to rip. Till then, my fingers stay crossed (which makes typing REALLY hard to do!)

Oh, real quick trivia: The symbol in the middle, on top of the rising sun means "courage". I chose that, cause, in this day and age, guitar solos are considered passe', by many (especially those who CAN'T!), and so is metal. I make no excuse for what I play, or HOW I play. I give a stiff middle finger to those who might criticize, and so the "courage" is there, to always swim against the current of trend, no matter how hard the undertow.
                    Last edited by Racerx2k; 05-07-2006, 09:21 PM.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

FINALLY! After I don't know how long, the body's done, and the guitar is assembled. As usual, the job went over budget and way past a reasonable time, but it's finished, and I'm rather pleased, especially for my first. Right now, it's just roughed in, but playable. I'll really tune it in, once I have all my stuff from my reheasrsal spot

Here's somes quick pics:

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Glad you got there Great news! Now, watch out your hooked. You will be looking for the next project real soon!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

LOL. Already am. I have a strat, here, that I'm already considering turning into a Green Meanie-type guitar. This IS an addiction.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Looks like your bad luck curse didn't work this time, eh? It looks really nice!
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

LOl. Oh, it did. I was just withholding information, temporarily, until I got a few extra eyes on the project, until I devulged the back-story. Here it is:
                              After having the guitar body for several months, it was finally ready for pickup. I willingly payed an extra $30, to have my paint guy sand the top clearcoats smoothe, and apply an extra 2 coats of clear, on top. I stopped, Saturday, around noon, to pick it up. He wasn't there, so I didn' speak it him, in person, but, on quick inspection, all looked well, and I handed over the cash, just relieved that it was done. Now, I take it home, and discover: DOH! When he sanded, he buzzed into the dragon graphics, and lifted it off the work! He didn't halt the job, but instead chose to re-flatten that portion (however he missed the dragon's one talon, which is still folded over itself!), and proceeded to shoot the final 2 coats! At 5 feet away, unless you know it's there, you'd probably miss it, and I know it's my 1st, but it is bumming me.
                              Now, I have it home, and begin assmbly. First is the trem post bushings. The first one isn't going in smoothly, and a little crooked, so I try tapping it, lightly, with my rubber mallet, but skim off the paint, a little, first. DOH! There is some slight scuffing (which will buff out), but it DID leave a slight indent. WHY?!
                              Finally, the guitar is together, and I am taking some relief out of the neck, but I have to put the butt end of the guitar, down, in front of me, and I lose grip of it. On the way down, it bumps off the dinning room chair, I'm sitting on! The top coats indent a tad, but no real chips. SON-OF-A....!!!
                              So, to say summarize: Yeah, the new baby has been delivered, but it's been dropped, and, shall I say, is just a little bit "special"

Like I've said: I have that Midas touch: Everything I touch, turns into a muffler!

The battle-scars, I'll just have to live with. Such is life.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                                When he sanded, he buzzed into the dragon graphics, and lifted it off the work! He didn't halt the job, but instead chose to re-flatten that portion (however he missed the dragon's one talon, which is still folded over itself!), and proceeded to shoot the final 2 coats!
                                Next time, remember my previous advice and put a couple of coats of clear on before the decal. The decal will adhere to clear better than base, and you won't have that lifting problem. Of course that wouldn't help the "sanding" problem! Anyway hey, it looks pretty damn good to me! Trial and error are the only way to learn!
                                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X