No announcement yet.

Waterslide Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too late now, but I was going to mention you want the paint you are applying the decals to to be smooth and clear, once again to keep the air bubbles out, and to get a good contact to the paint.

I think the decals look cool, and are a good idea if you aren't an airbrush pro. I'd like to do a graphic on one of my axes (Queensryche stuff?), so keep us up to date on how it turns out.

Comment

nice mockup; another possibility is to use temporary tattoos.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, I thought of that, but wasn't sure how THEY would hold up.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
          Too late now, but I was going to mention you want the paint you are applying the decals to to be smooth and clear, once again to keep the air bubbles out, and to get a good contact to the paint.

I think the decals look cool, and are a good idea if you aren't an airbrush pro. I'd like to do a graphic on one of my axes (Queensryche stuff?), so keep us up to date on how it turns out.
          Well, I checked with him, on my way home, and he hasn't even begun the primer coats, yet. Said he's gonna start shooting, today. Yeah, I plan on being careful about the bubble issue.
          Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, I know ZERO about airbrush work, but am rather proficient at Adobe Photoshop (hehe), so I figured I'd have better luck, that way, instead. The Queensryche stuff: You mean like the "Empire" guitars they had done, with the big Queensryche logos? I thought they were cool, and almost did something like that. Been a big fan of them, since the early days. NM156 is STILL one of my favorite songs. Kinda lost interest in them, oddly enough, right around "Silent Lucidity", when they actually made a decent name for themselves. Last time I checked, there were a few lineup changes. Bummer.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
            Yeah, I thought of that, but wasn't sure how THEY would hold up.
            pretty nicely; they're pretty much the same as a waterslide decal.
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I thought so, but didn't want to assume too much.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Quick update: Stopped by the shop, today, and my guy finally got to putting down the primer coats, and he also clear coated the test piece. Both look well, and the clear coat seems to be holding up, just fine, over the clear acrylic laquer. I guess he's gonna shoot the color, the next day or so, and I'll pick it up, to place the graphics, on Wednesday. So far, so good.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Applying the decals directly over the base white isn't recommended, because the base coat is somewhat pourous. The best way is (after all of the base color is applied) to spray a couple of coats of clear lacquer (spray can is fine) over the areas that will receive the decals. Let that dry over night, and lightly sand it with 600 wet, then apply the decals. Let it dry over night again, and clear as usual with 2 part urethane. The decals will look the best and last the longest using this method. The clear lacquer is acting as a sealer and adhesion promoter for the decals.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'm not sure I follow, as I am having it shot with a white urethane base, not acrylic base. Wouldn't a layer of clear acrylic laquer over that urethane base react strangely?
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

he's saying that essentially it's better to apply waterslides over a little bit of clear, opposed to color because the color coats are usually left a little bit rougher than the clears. unless i misunderstood. the only places i've used waterslides are for headstock logos, and i always apply them over some clear first. not sure exactly why i do that, but that's what i've always kinda done.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I guess it wasn't so much meconfused by the placement over the clear, but moreso what KIND of clear he advised me to use. This is a Urethane paintjob, basecoat/clearcoat, with two waterslide decals that had some Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic laquer shot over them, merely to seal in the ink, prior to installment. I was more concerned with getting the poly clear to work over the laquer clear, than anything. I wouldn't think spraying laquer ON TOP OF poly would work too well, like he suggested. I know what you mean about clear going on, smoother than color coats. I agree. At least, from my limited experience, that's what I've noticed. I'm just really trying to pay a close eye on compatibilities, on this, that's all.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

i haven't tried the waterslide method that you've done (lacquer on top of the ink to seal it), but you should be fine with shooting urethane clears on top of a waterslide with lacquer on top of it.
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

that's what it seems. Like I said, he did the test piece, and it came out, fine. I just didn't understand Mark's reccomendation of shooting clear laquer on top of the urethane base, prior to laying down the decals. I would think that it would crackle, or some other bad reaction. Now, a coat of clear POLY, would make sense, to me.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                              he's saying that essentially it's better to apply waterslides over a little bit of clear, opposed to color because the color coats are usually left a little bit rougher than the clears. unless i misunderstood. the only places i've used waterslides are for headstock logos, and i always apply them over some clear first. not sure exactly why i do that, but that's what i've always kinda done.

sully
                              Exactly!
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

(sigh) That still doesn't tell me how the laquer is gonna react, being shot over the urethane. You know how it react over enamel, and lifts? Well, isn't it gonna do the same, or similar, in THIS case?
                                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                                X