Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neck Heel questions

[ QUOTE ]
    Place neck in rout, lay tape measure from nut to bridge, read measurement, compare read measurement to target value.

Explaining the simplest things often makes them look more complicated than they are

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to bust your chops.
    All I'm trying to say is that general statements like "measure to the bridge", and "target value" are very misleading to someone who has never done this before and who asks "how do I tell the scale of my neck or body?"

The only explainations that sound complicated are those that aren't explained clearly. JMO

The rule of thumb measurement for a 25-1/2 scale guitar (strat style), when using an original Floyd Rose trem would be 25" from the front edge of the nut to the center pivot hole.
    If you are unsure of the scale, and/or you are using something other than an original Floyd Rose trem, Measure from the front edge of the nut to the 12th fret. Then place the neck in the neck pocket. The distance you measured from the front edge of the nut to the 12th fret should be the same from the 12th fret to where your bridge saddles rest (give or take). The distance will vary by fractions to compensate for proper intonation, but as long as you have some "wiggle room" for saddle adjustments, you should be fine.

If this measurement is off, then you may be required to route further down in the neck pocket to help compensate, or possibly place the neck further up in the neck pocket which may leave a nice gap if not filled.

Hope this helps. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] or we can remember that he's got a warrior body coming. it's a 25.5 scale, 24 fret-needing body. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        Place neck in rout, lay tape measure from nut to bridge, read measurement, compare read measurement to target value.

Explaining the simplest things often makes them look more complicated than they are

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to bust your chops.
        All I'm trying to say is that general statements like "measure to the bridge", and "target value" are very misleading to someone who has never done this before and who asks "how do I tell the scale of my neck or body?"....

[/ QUOTE ]
        I didn´t say you were.. you asked for a more in depth explanation and I provided it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I felt that going into the detail that you did would have been too much... then again I also feel that people that have zero knowledge about guitar construction shouldn´t really be piecemealing guitars together with parts from totally different sources, either... FWIW [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          ... then again I also feel that people that have zero knowledge about guitar construction shouldn´t really be piecemealing guitars together with parts from totally different sources, either...

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Well i'm trying to learn and get experience, because the only thing i'm familiar with is refinishing gun stocks.

Comment

When you're refinishing your next gun, just remember it was Zerby who made that comment. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Well i'm trying to learn and get experience, because the only thing i'm familiar with is refinishing gun stocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn´t mean it as an attack,just meant to say that you should really read a few books on basic guitar maintenance and construction before actually attempting it IMO...

After all, there is almost no trade in the world (including the fast food industry) that requires zero training... and most require quite a bit more .... Just the general principle of research, then act [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, i agree with that. I have seen quite a few books about this around, do you have any particular suggestions?

Btw, body just arrived. Wow looks awesome to me, since this is the first time i've seen a warrior in real life. I'll post some pics in a little bit. One thing that i noticed is that the neck slides in quite nicely, not loose at all, but the screw holes are way off.

Comment

Kinda looks like a gap, but thats just a shadow.

Nice fit on, looks like a gap here too because of the rounded corners

The holes are a little too high

There a little crack right here, but its not as big as it looks on the photo.

Comment

Do you not have the neck all the way into the body, on purpose, or is that as far as it is going in? First glance, it looks like it should go in , more. Have you checked, after mock-up, the distance from nut to centerline of trem stud holes? If so, what did you get?
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Yeah at first i have the neck not in all the way on purpose. No i will measure that right now

Comment

Ok, i measured it from the top of the spot where the locking nuts should be to the tremelo stud holes , and its 26"

BTW When i put the neck in all the way, there is about a 5/8" distance between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup cavity.

Comment

From eveything I've read, here and abroad, you should get, from the front face of the nut, to the centerline of the studs, 25". I guess the breaking point of the saddles sit about 1/2" back, further, giving you thye 25-1/2" scale.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              From eveything I've read, here and abroad, you should get, from the front face of the nut, to the centerline of the studs, 25". I guess the breaking point of the saddles sit about 1/2" back, further, giving you thye 25-1/2" scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
                              If your guitar is 25-1/2 scale, the measurement should be 25" from the front edge of the nut to the centerpoint of the pivot post.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
                                If your guitar is 25-1/2 scale, the measurement should be 25" from the front edge of the nut to the centerpoint of the pivot post.

[/ QUOTE ]

another +1 here

Comment

Working...
                                X