X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fun with Bondo!! ...Rhoads project

Thanks for the kind words everyone! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

John D, to answer your questions:

1) I thought I've heard of wood putty before. If that exists, why did you use bondo? Is it more durable?

Wood putty shrinks over time, and at this thickness it would never harden anyway. Bondo is a catalyzed plastic, hardens at any thickness, and will not shrink.

2) When you made the neck pocket impression, did you do that quickly before the bondo set? I was wondering how you ended up not getting the bondo to stick to the taped-up neck and messing up the pocket.

I had the neck bolted on when I filled the hole. Bondo will not stick to masking tape, nor any smooth surface. The tape was there mainly to protect the neck. As soon as bondo initially hardened (around 2 to 3 minutes) I just unbolted the neck and popped it out of the pocket. No magic there!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

a great thread Mark.. thanks and awesome work [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks, Mark, for the response. I'm very impressed with your capabilities. I can easily imagine that you do fantastic job on the cars you rebuild.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Dude, that is fucking incredible looking. You must post some soundclips once it's totally set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

will do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Where do you buy bondo from and how much did the amount you used set you back?

Comment

Any auto parts store will carry Bondo.
              Haven't had to buy any recently, so I don't know what it costs these days.
              IIRC, it's not that expensive at all.
              -Rick

Comment

it usually runs about 10 bucks for about 20 ounces.

Comment

I use 3M filler. It's around 15 bucks a gallon. How much did I use on this guitar?....I dunno, maybe 6 or 7 ounces.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

3M is the best. Don't go cheap. You'll get what you pay for.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

fuckin awesome

Comment

phenomenal work!
                        www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Awesome, and inspiring.
                          Congrats from your St.Louis neighbor.

Comment

shfvsgsbvkbv ksjdbvksbvkjsdbvljdbvsdfbvklsbvolsfbvosflvbBSL VBslkvblsdjvblsbvlisdfbvljkxdbvliSBVLSFBVKLJVLKJsv jBSJBbbjBJ\BJBOBOBOUBOb
                            mxbvuydfbkudfbubvYVvbvyvkvbvujycxjtgrwzhvkHBOJOLNU VTRDHTRDF

Sorry for the nonsense, I couldn't find the right compliment. Good job!
                            DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

that's just killer! awesome work man!

Comment

Yo, MM2002!
                                Got a scenario for ya: I have a neck pocket that is more flat than round. I plan on taking a tip from you, and fill the "dead zone" in, much the same way you have done with this Rhodes, and that, to me IS the way to go. Now the real question: The body is just about all the way down to bare wood. I have some slight surface gouges on this body, from the previous owner, especially on the front top surface. Is something so minore better left up to the Evercoat, or should I tend to it with the bondo. If I'm not mistaken, the Evercoat is a lighter-grade poly fill, is it not? And since it would be applied to the bare wood, would the same type of everclear you used, be the right choice, or would I go with their Formula 27, or something like that? Just want to make the right choices on the foundation, the FIRST time.
                                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                                X