Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for suggestions... new guitar build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It\'s Painted!!!

Thx for the compliment.
    There are two very small runs... fortunately they were on the back and easy to smooth out. If I look real hard at the back by the lower horn I can make them out. But you wouldn't notice unless I told you they were there.
    Now comes the fun part... the final sand and buff/polish.
    Crossing fingers on not having any burn throughs.

Edit: for all those wondering, I went with a modern two post vtrem with a roller nut and locking tuners.
    She's basicly a single locking floater they stays in tune remarkably well considering all the dive bombs I put her through testing her out. You can pull up, but not very much.
    They're new strings after all... so I expect them to stretch a bit more before they settle in.
    -Rick

Comment

LOL - when I polished mine I could only get it to a satin finish, just could not quite get the gloss back. but I like what I got out of it, black semi-gloss satin on a Tele.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

This may turn out to be a satin finish metal flake as well as I may just smooth out the rough spots and call it good.
        We'll see once the process begins this weekend. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        -Rick

Comment

Very nice job - the first one is always the hardest!!

Comment

Just keep working the rubbing compound (swirl remover and fine cut) and you'll get a nice gloss. I had a small patch on the paint victim I was abusing last summer that was nice and shiny, but since I didn't lay on a super-thick coat it wasn't a deep shine.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: Looking for suggestions... new guitar build.

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              Why don't you do it with the graphic showing the mouth from a P51 Mustang.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now now, don't go jumping on my claim:

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] That would be a P-40 Warhawk, not a P-51. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'm gonna give the body another coat or two of clear poly which should help add some more depth and give me a little more room for error.
                I'm also going to remove the black Jackson logo from the headstock tonight as it just doesn't look right on there.
                I've got a gold Charvel logo coming (thx Slash)to replace the Jackson logo. I tried a grey/silver one, but it literaly disappeared once it hit the dark blue paint.
                It's all trial and error at this point, but that's how one learns. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                -Rick

Comment

Re: Looking for suggestions... new guitar build.

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  Why don't you do it with the graphic showing the mouth from a P51 Mustang.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now now, don't go jumping on my claim:

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] That would be a P-40 Warhawk, not a P-51. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] Here's the real deal.

This is a P-51, yes, I am an airplane geek. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Re: It\'s DONE!!!

OK... final assmebly time.
                    Everything is painted and ready to be put together.
                    Here is the parts list.
                    Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
                    Gotoh SG-38 Magnum lock tuners
                    Wilkinson Roller nut
                    CTS 1M pot
                    Switchcraft 1/4" input jack
                    Two post vtrem (unknown brand from ebay, but sounds awesome and was cake to install and adjust.)
                    Strap buttons and neck plate courtesy of Budman (Thx!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img])

I painted the pickup ring to match the body.

Look at that flake!!! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

All Done!!!

I still have one piece left to do and that's the logo for the headstock. Oh and oil the neck... I almost forgot about that.
                    Slash and I have been working out some issues with the color, and after one failed attempt at a grey, a black Charvel logo will be on their shortly. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Thx to all who provided input and comments.
                    Special thx to those who provided parts free of charge even when I was willing to pay for them. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    She still needs a littel fine tuning on the setup, but the action is good the frets are level and the SD screams.
                    I will take more pics outside when the sun decide to pay us a visit. The color is awesome.
                    -Rick

Comment

Necks all oiled up and man is she smooth.
                      The SD Custom/Custom is a monster in this thing.
                      Switching from a 500k to a 1M pot really opens up the C/C and gives it the headroom for everything from warm clean tones to full on shredding.
                      I didn't put it down for almost 3 hours. I say she's definately broken in now.
                      -Rick

Comment

Cool! Nice job [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice job! I'm working on 4 guitars at the same time in various stages. Now you're addicted and want to build more! Again nice work!
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Looks amazing! Great job. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X