Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for suggestions... new guitar build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for suggestions... new guitar build.

Yummy, blue metal flake! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just got finished with the second coat on the body... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
      This is turning out way better than I thought.
      The neck now has a second coat of poly clear (headstock only) and is on the rack drying. The clear really made the metal flake pop.
      The rest of the neck is getting an oil treatment.
      I brought it outside and in the sun it goes from a dark blue with silver flake to almost a deep purple.
      3 days of drying time and they should be ready for final sanding and polishing.
      -Rick

Comment

Re: It\'s Painted!!!

As promised... updated pics.
        Body is now painted... only 1 coat of poly has been applied to the body, so it will appear a bit dull until the final coat and buff.
        You can also see the line on the headstock where the clear coat begins. Note the change in color. Gonna leave the neck with just an oil finish.
        I know the lighting sucks.

btw... this is my first, start to finish paint job that I'm doing on my own.
        I've done bits and pieces before, but one has to go solo sometime. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Why don't you do it with the graphic showing the mouth from a P51 Mustang.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now now, don't go jumping on my claim:

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Looks like that was done with a black and red Sharpie. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            -Rick

Comment

I like the color & the matching headstock! Looks great with the maple board. What are your plans for hardware color, pickup, etc?

Comment

Pickup is going to be a SD Custom/Custom.
                Hardware will be chrome.
                I already have a set of Gotoh SG-38 tuners with the Magnum lock feature.
                I've also ordered a chrome v-trem with a roller nut, but now I'm considering going with a chrome OFR. Need to decide so I can drill out the post holes. Part of the reason why the paint on the neck stops well before the nut.
                It's ready for either a Floyd nut or roller nut route job.
                The trem I ordered is a new 2 post type, not the 6 screw kind.
                -Rick

Comment

Nice job!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I'd go for a Floyd personally, but if you're going to use a trem sparingly, then the V-trem will be fine.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Put a floyd on that sucker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nice job bud! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Thx for the compliments guys. I really appreaciate it.
                      As for the trem...
                      I've been doing some searching on ebay for a chrome OFR with a 42mm block (for non-recess mount). I found two, but one is the bridge only... nothing else and the other will definately be in the retail price range very soon.
                      V-trems are very inexpensive, even for a nice one and I probably won't use a trem that much on this, but who knows.
                      That's why I got locking tuners and a roller nut.
                      Single locking setup is still better than none at all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      Anyway... if I can't find an OFR or Schaller for cheap, I'll stick with the v-trem and upgrade it later.
                      -Rick

Comment

Looks good- was the flake seperate from the paint or already mixed with the base color?

Comment

Flake was mixed in with the base... gives it more depth.
                          Does have a tendancy to get more flake in some areas and not so much in others if you don't keep mixing it while your shooting it. I already have one spot on the inside of the lower horn that's almost pure flake... must have had a clump in there somewhere that didn't fully mix.
                          Easy to fix... just had to let it dry and then sand and re-shoot that area.
                          -Rick

Comment

Thats amazing for your first paintjob.. Hope mine turns out that great

Comment

OK... here is a teaser.
                              She still needs a final sand and buff, but I had to do a final fit check of all hardware before hand.
                              Here she is all assembled... I did a quick wire job.
                              I had take her for a test spin. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              She screams!
                              And yes... that's a Jackson logo on the headstock.
                              -Rick

Comment

Re: It\'s Painted!!!

[ QUOTE ]

btw... this is my first, start to finish paint job that I'm doing on my own.
                                I've done bits and pieces before, but one has to go solo sometime. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                                dude, that is an EXCELLENT job.

very nice work. it's tough as shit to paint evenly and not have drips and have the patience to wait for it to dry and paint more and not fuckup and clear coat and not have that run, etc.

I did one myself this past summer, I learned a lot, the hard way mainly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                                X