Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here\'s the locking plate ..

[ QUOTE ]
    Absolutely, I wasn't implying anything, just that is what funny that we were fairly close in design.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't think you were implying anything ..

Lesse the pics of yours ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

"Form follows function" - Louis H. Sullivan (Famous architect)
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Re: Whats so bad about Kahlers?

[ QUOTE ]
        Why dont alot of people like Kahlers? Besides the fact that they are kind of ugly, any other reasons? I like the fact that weather pulling up or down on the bar, it doesent change the height of the strings. Could a Kahler Flyer replace a Floyd recessed, or would you have to angle the neck?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm... "weather pulling up or down on the bar".
        hmm... What does climate have to do with it. Also, how the heck do you pull down on the bar? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Whats so bad about Kahlers?

dude....as the barometric pressure drops and rises, so do kahler bars! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Lesse the pics of yours ..

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Kev, check your PM </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Who's custom ordering a new Charvel San Dimas or GMW with a Kahler? That's what I thought. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Marty "Kenny G." Friedman is NOT in the same boat as early EVH, Warren DeMartini, and George Lynch. No Sharpnel guy is even remotely close to the same category. Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Kahlers are OK, especially if they're blocked K-Maynard style! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] That's a great idea for those stuck with the larger footprint from the system and looking to improve tuning stability.

The only Kahler I liked was a stainless model with palm control arm that I purchased to have installed on an older Charvel with the original vintage trem. Was able to have this one set up better or equal to my Floyd equipped git fiddles. I liked the spongyness feel and the palm control arm. The stainless rollers and bridge sounded much better than Kahler brass roller models. Those suck. Don't like their Floyd copies either.

If American Precision Metal is back making classic Kahlers from the 80's that's good for new parts source. Kahler had a crude website up a couple of years ago but I haven't been interested enough to recheck since I don't have any Kahler equipped guitars anymore.

May even buy a palm control roller model from them in the future. Guess they stopped making golf clubs. I like my Callaways better anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Marty "Kenny G." Friedman

[/ QUOTE ]
                Ooooh boy would I disagree strongly with that statement but I won't even start that discussion here.

The route for a Kahler isn't the problem its the actual space taken by the trem itself and its cosmetic appearance that pisses me off.

Cool stability thing you came up with there Kev.

I want to try one of the Kahler Flyers, aren't they kinda smaller look more like a vintage trem?

Comment

I go back and forth on Kahlers. Overall, I'd say they have a slightly better tone than Floyds but less sustain. I love the feel of a Kahler, but they are too damn fussy and require too much maintenance to work right.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I go back and forth on Kahlers. Overall, I'd say they have a slightly better tone than Floyds but less sustain. I love the feel of a Kahler, but they are too damn fussy and require too much maintenance to work right.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

I do love the feel of the original spongy Kahler for variety as long as its a stainless steel unit w/ stainless rollers and palm control arm. The brass units w/ brass rollers are weaker constructed and suck the living sustain from your sound.

Kahler should have discontinued the brass model and focus on improving the original stainless model by improving the quality, keeping all parts high grade stainless, improving the lock nut, ditching the section that the string balls clip into and making that a locking vice like Floyd. THAT is the only thing they needed to copy from Floyd Rose, nothing else.

Kahler had a window of opportunity to improve the stainless design as mentioned above. THEY DROPPED THE BALL; ie: JUMPED THE SHARK. Their designers / engineers / marketing people suffered from a gross total lack of focus.

Instead Kahler chose to further decrease and alienate potential converts. Started making weak copies of Floyd Rose. Promoted Kahler users to convert to the heavier springs so it would be "more like a Floyd" (this was a music store's words back in the day, not mine). Kahler lost more market share, went to shit financially, went into the golf club business.

Overall Floyd is far superior because Kahler did not improve the engineering on what was great and unique about their systems. The minute you wanna be your competetion instead of improving on your unique traits, its only a matter of time before your market position gets weaker until it dies out.

Understand that I would use Kahler if they had done what I suggested. Floyds are not perfect, but far more superior as it stands now.

The Kenny G. ref was a joke. Marty didn't even use a tremelo, he used a Kahler fixed bridge. Talented? Yes, but is not even in the top 10 when talking about main influences like Lynch, early EVH, DeMartini - hell, even Ronnie from TNT.

Again, you don't see the new Charvels offering Kahlers. I rest my case.

Comment

Alright, I need help on my Kahler. It's a 2320, and the problem is that it isn't staying in tune for shit. I tune it up perfectly and literally just play like a riff, and it goes flat. I'm assuming that it's probably because I'm not setting it up correctly, if not, then what could I do to make the tuning stable?

Comment

Marty could accomplish better control over the instrument WITHOUT a floyd than EVH, Lynch, Demartini, Malmsteen, MANY more, with the exception of Vai.. Marty can bend his notes to the correct pitch while EVH had to use the whammy.. EVH also needs to tap his songs, when Jason Becker proved stuff like Hot for Teacher can easily be played just alternate picking and sound perfect, maybe better than EVH's tapping method.

Once again, Marty is the only shrapnel guitarist along with Becker and MacAlpine that isnt all about speed.. altho Marty can easily achieve Malmsteen speed

Comment

Greg Howe wasn't all about speed. Neither was Vinnie Moore or Michael Lee Firkins. Or Paul Gilbert or Michael Fath.

Bit of a Marty fan-boy? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Alright, I need help on my Kahler. It's a 2320, and the problem is that it isn't staying in tune for shit. I tune it up perfectly and literally just play like a riff, and it goes flat. I'm assuming that it's probably because I'm not setting it up correctly, if not, then what could I do to make the tuning stable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace the springs, once they start losing tension the party is over.
                            Make sure the rollers are loose and lubricated.
                            Check the roller bearings, if they are gritty replace them.
                            Check the inside of the lock nut, if there are big grooves in the housing, replace the nut.

Comment

What are the roller bearings?

Comment

Like Marty or not, he can do it all!! And better than most!! Oh and Kahlers rule!!
                                I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                                X