No announcement yet.

advantage to recessing the floyd is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: advantage to recessing the floyd is?

[ QUOTE ]
    I can pull up almost a full octave on my RG750FA with the Edge Trem recessed.

[/ QUOTE ]

A full octave? what string, and how do you keep from breaking them? you must have that edge trem angled down so steep that the strings are barely in the saddles!

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I can pull up almost a full octave on my RG750FA with the Edge Trem recessed.

[/ QUOTE ]
      That's impossible. An Edge trem has the same pull range as an OFR.
      You may get 2 or 3 full steps, but strings will break and wood will get seriously damaged if you tried to pull a trem back that far. And based on the design of the Edge trem arm, it would snap off in the socket if you pull it back to far/hard. Done it twice on mine before... first time the socket actualy gave, second time the trem arm snapped off inside the socket. Wasn't pretty.
      -Rick

Comment

I'm a recessed guy. I like the sound of my vibrato with the trem when I pull up slightly and go back to level and up again vs. a non floating when I can only push down and go back to level. You can also do more Vai tricks with the route like the flutter sounds when you just pull up a little and let go.

Comment

You can still do flutters and pullbacks with a non recessed trem. Brad Gillis does as many tricks as Vai does (and better, imho) and his main strat doesn't have a recessed floyd.

pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I'm a recessed guy. I like the sound of my vibrato with the trem when I pull up slightly and go back to level and up again vs. a non floating when I can only push down and go back to level.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Non-recessed trems still float. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I prefer non-recessed, because it tilts the neck back on an angle and it puts the bridge higher off the body (similar to the TOM bridge of a Les Paul) instead of having a totally straight neck and having my picking hand closer to the body like on a Strat.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I prefer non-recessed trems, because I like my picking hand to be high off the body, and because I prefer the feel of an angled neck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I prefer non-recessed trems, because I like my picking hand to be high off the body, and because I prefer the feel of an angled neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dito...

The ONLY difference between recessed and non recessed is the hight of the bridge off the body and accordingly the matching neck angle... If you prefer LPs you´ll probably prefer Non recessed trems such as on San Dimas /early Ontario Soloists... if on the other hand you grew up with V-trems you´ll likely prefer recessed trems [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Both are blockable, both can be set for Down only, and both can be set to float (assuming the guitar is otherwise constructed in a way that allows this.)

Comment

I have had many guitars with recessed and only two non-recessed - my PC1 and Charvel.

I have noticed the PC1 has a louder, more resonant accoustical sound when unplugged than anything recessed that I have had. The Charvel I have that is non-recessed is also quite loud when unplugged. Nothing I have had that has been recessed including other Jacksons has even come close to the tone these guitars have.

This could just be by luck but I have had Jackson, Ibanez and Hamer recessed guitars and in my experience I have found more tone and sustain in the non-recessed guitars.

But this could be just my isolated experience with them. I like the way my hand rests against the body and bridge on a recessed trem and have had to compensate. But now I am use to them and can play just as fast. I do find my hand sometimes rests against the low E tuning adjustment and sometimes when I play hard my hand rubs against it and throws my low E string out of tune. But I would rather have that great tone. The recessed guitars just seem quieter to me.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I like recessed trems because I can pull up more.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Isn´t the PC1 recessed? I´m pretty certain it is. Or am I just missing something here? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yea, my PC1 is recessed.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yep... all PC1's are recessed.
                          -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I like recessed trems because I can pull up more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, pulling up is NOT a product of the recess itself.... You can recess a trem and still have it essentially blocked... Most recesses allow it, but not all do...

Up pull and down "push" capability is called "floating" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

On both my non-recessed guitars I can pull up one whole step. On my Rhoads with the recessed trem (that I've since sold), I could pull up about 1.5 steps before the strings fretted out. Not that it matters much to me either way. 1 full step is more than enough for my pulling up needs.

Comment

As an experiment I set the 750XL up to pull up two whole steps (yes, the trem was tilting out), and then I sat down to do some "car acceleration" sound effects. Within minutes I had broken two strings. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X