wierd intonation problem HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wierd intonation problem HELP!

Janice, I really wish you would just try bolting a Schaller bridge on it before you go modding stuff. Please? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah really, lenny-dave! sheesh! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I actually, have a schaller base plate that I can measure up. I'll go do that and get back to ya!

I hear ya chuck, I hear ya!

Phillis
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I don't fault George or Paul at all. I know this was not passed along because of this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
          I still think Ringo might have a case to answer though. Yellow Submarine? Puh-lease!
          Hail yesterday

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Maybe it was John's and Yoko fucked it up!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Update!

Well, a little update anyway.

First of all, the Schaller theory. There is a difference in the Shcaller vs the OFR, but it's only about 1/8th. That may be enough to get it intonated, but the saddles will still be just about as far back as they can go still limiting the travel of the fine tuners. Also, this guitar came with an OFR from the factory. I know this for sure so the Schaller theory is shot, but it was a damn good one. I really wanted that one to work.

The neck pocket theory. I talked to a Fender Gold cetified tech about it today and he said that from how I explained it to him, he's pretty certain that it's a factory mistake. He said even if you could get it intonated (is that even a word?) the saddles should not be back that far. As far as the fix? he said the only way to go would be to move the neck. With the intricate Floyd recess route, there is no way you are going to move the Floyd back. He is on vacation this week so I am going to bring it down to him naxt week so he can take a look at in person. He's a real good tech. I've worked with him in the past and he knows his shit.

Soooooooo, It looks like it's back to moving the neck. I may leave this one up to him though. I know I can do it, but I just don't think I've got the balls to put a drill to a Custom Shop guitar.

Stay tuned......

Herb

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Herb

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua"> [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Thanks for the update, Ted! </font>
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Wait! Paul, I forgot you were the original owner! Did this guitar come with an OFR or a Schaller?

[/ QUOTE ]Hey, It came with a Floyd. The only changes I made on the guitar was the pickups and I also added the gold pup rings. Otherwise thats how it came from the factory.

Comment

I cant believe you are having this problem. I had this guitar since 97 and there is no way I would not notice a problem like this. I had it tuned to 440 with 9s on it. I dont know if it became noticable when you changed tuning and went to a heavier string gauge?? Thye only reason I sold the guitar (like I told you in our pm) is I really dont like the 24 3/4 scale. Pm me when you take it to the tech and let me know whats up. Like I also told you I traded this guitar for a head and then it was put on ebay and a JCF member bought it and then you got it from him. Maybe the guy I traded it to tried to mess with it? who know. Let me know thge deal when you find out. Paul

Comment

The neck shrank, that's the only explanation. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The neck shrank, that's the only explanation. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">It was in the pool!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I cant believe you are having this problem. I had this guitar since 97 and there is no way I would not notice a problem like this. I had it tuned to 440 with 9s on it. I dont know if it became noticable when you changed tuning and went to a heavier string gauge?? Thye only reason I sold the guitar (like I told you in our pm) is I really dont like the 24 3/4 scale. Pm me when you take it to the tech and let me know whats up. Like I also told you I traded this guitar for a head and then it was put on ebay and a JCF member bought it and then you got it from him. Maybe the guy I traded it to tried to mess with it? who know. Let me know thge deal when you find out. Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Paul, this is a mystery. I think that when you had it, it may have been intonated perfectly, but maybe the saddles were still all the way back or close to it. Did you ever have a problem with the fine tuners? They guy I'm bringing it to is on vacation for a week so in the mean time, I'm going to restring it with 9/42's and tune it up to E and see what happens. I can't imagine that anyone could have messed with it. I can't imagine what it is they could have done to it to shorten the distance between the bridge and the nut.

One thing the tech said is that the the high E should measure 12-3/8" from the 12th the saddle. I checked and it does, but the screw for the saddle is in the 2nd hole on the base plate and the saddle is set back quite a bit. So that proves already that the bridge is too far forward or the neck pocket is too close to the bridge. That being said, it is very minimal. I bet with 9's and tuned up, the intonation will be in or close enough.

How could this happen? Who knows. Maybe they screwed up the neck pocket route and figured that they could clean it up by going a littel deeper? It really doesn't matter. What matters is, I love this guitar and If I have to shim the neck or what ever, it's no big deal to me. THe guitar is worth it. I'll shoot you a PM after the tech looks at it next week Paul.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

How could this happen? Who knows. Maybe they screwed up the neck pocket route and figured that they could clean it up by going a littel deeper? It really doesn't matter. What matters is, I love this guitar and If I have to shim the neck or what ever, it's no big deal to me. THe guitar is worth it. I'll shoot you a PM after the tech looks at it next week Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              i was thinking about this, and i wonder if at the factory when they did the floyd route if the used a dummy neck while your was being...fretted/ inlayed/painted..watever... and they used a 25.5 neck by mistake?

BTW... you ask for the measurement from the center of the 12th fret to the center of the fulcrum bolt on my 24.75 USA warrior...it is 11 13/16ths

MOSH ON
                              DAVE
                              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Yeah...Jackson Quality... [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X