Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wierd intonation problem HELP!

[ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't seem possible that the previous owners missed something like this. Improper intonation generally hits you right in the face when you come across it unless you are just strumming chords on the first few frets. Jim, can you hear the problem or does it just show up on the strobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, it's real close. The limited travel on the fine tuners is more of a problem than the intonation.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Does anybody have a Schaller they can send to Sam to try out? That would be the easy fix, and I would try it before I re-drilled the neck and started guessing at shimming...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Does anybody have a Schaller they can send to Sam to try out? That would be the easy fix, and I would try it before I re-drilled the neck and started guessing at shimming...

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">quite calling him Sam, dammit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's jim, JIM, I SAY! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Sure thing, Bud!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Chuck, I think you might have something with the Schaller thing. LIke I said, the intonation isn't really a problem. I mean I'd like to fix that too, but the main thing is the fine tuners. I just sold a Gold Jackson badged Schaller to jgcable for his Carvin. It needed saddles, but the plate was good. Too bad. I'm also thinking about bringing the saddles into work tomorrow and taking a little off of the back to see if that helps. Saddles are easily replacable.

I really think this is a factory screw up. The saddles were already adjusted back when I got it and I know George didn't move them, I bet they haven't been moved since it was at the factory. I certainly hope not. That would be pretty piss poor quality if it did.

Wouldn't it be nice if Jackson would take care of this even though the warranty is null and void. I mean, it's pretty clear that the scale length is the problem and either the neck pocket or the Floyd placement is no good.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              <font color="aqua">quite calling him Sam, dammit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's jim, JIM, I SAY! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
              Quite? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Quite possibly it could be Ben, or maybe Cuda. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I call him Frank. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Just don't call him Shirley! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Quite? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Quite possibly it could be Ben, or maybe Cuda. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">yep, had that one coming........ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

hey betty,

stop using d'addarios! they are the worst.

try some boomers or markleys.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

So what's the verdict on this, Stella?

Comment

I saw Jim at band rehearsal last night and he didn't say squat about it. That might be a bad thing.

Comment

Here's a crazy thought...doesn't a buzz feiten nut shorten the scale a tad? It might allow it to intonate, although it won't help the fine tuner issue.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Here's a crazy thought...doesn't a buzz feiten nut shorten the scale a tad? It might allow it to intonate, although it won't help the fine tuner issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I don't know if it actually shortens the whole scale... it's supposed to have staggered spots on the nut to make the length of certain strings different, thereby playing in tune all across the neck, but it may help the problem in this case.

Comment

Nothing to report! I'm going to bring it to a Jackson/Fender Gold certified tech to look at and maybe Jackson will make good on it, maybe not. If not, I'll fix it myself. I'll probably start with milling a little off of the back of the saddles. If that does not work, I may shim the neck.

I will say this, in light of this problem, I am completely happy with my trade with George. I love this gutar and it will be perfect when I'm done with it (it's pretty damn close now!). I don't fault George or Paul at all. I know this was not passed along because of this problem.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the feedback and if anyone has any other thoughts on this, please post here.

Leo

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X