• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heavier string gauges...

Hell Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I did use 10-56 on 24.75 scale they stayed in tune great in E tuning in the 70's early 80's. More modern guitar and one with Floyd's just couldn't handle that big of strings so I now use 10-46 to 10-52 in E tuning.

Comment

i'm 5' 10"- but i have the meat hooks of king kong. i have some big mits, but i still like my 9's. it's just what i've always played. 8's are fun for 5 minutes and then they are broken. sometimes i'll do the ernie ball light high end and heavier low end.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

10-46 in E and Eb. I use no other tunings [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The stiff strings are THERE when you dig into them. They have more output, and better attack. I feel like I can play faster on them since they stay in place when you pick them better.

[/ QUOTE ]
            I totally agree with that, I've always felt I can play faster on heavier strings, they just seem to respond faster.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i'm 5' 10"- but i have the meat hooks of king kong. i have some big mits, but i still like my 9's. it's just what i've always played. 8's are fun for 5 minutes and then they are broken. sometimes i'll do the ernie ball light high end and heavier low end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya bro! Ever try 9 1/2s LOL! (GHS offered these a while back)
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I used to use 17-80...... in C#..... that was a cool ass sound.

Comment

heavier strings are where it's at! a typical 9-42 set feels like slop to me now. i play either 10-52 or 10-49 (yes 49, i use 1/2 a set of 11s and 1/2 a set of 10s) and on my floyd guitars i use 11-49 since the floyd tends to have more give on the bends (obviously) so i can get away with the heavier high e for more tension.

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I use 11-52 Blue Steels for standard tuning. I even use the wound G string, because I think it sounds better.

Comment

I am a traditionalist.
                      9-42
                      9-46
                      10-52
                      10-56
                      Standard off the shelf D'addario XL's although I have recently switched to Carvin strings (I think they are GHS or Ernie Ball) mainly because of the price.
                      Different brands of strings don't mean dick to me. The only strings I don't like are those hokey Elixers that have the string condoms on them. Those strings are for little boys who usually suffer from premature ejaculation.

Comment

I do like the heavier strings tonally, but I do not like playing on them.
                        9-42 9-46 for me. My seven string has 10-56.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The only strings I don't like are those hokey Elixers that have the string condoms on them. Those strings are for little boys who usually suffer from premature ejaculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quiet, you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

(I use an Elixir Polyweb 12-53 set on my Taylor. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

The only strings I don't like are those hokey Elixers that have the string condoms on them. Those strings are for little boys who usually suffer from premature ejaculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quiet, you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

(I use an Elixir Polyweb 12-53 set on my Taylor. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

Acoustic guitars don't count. Your exempt from my comment. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.
                            BTW... the name of your strings sound like something Spiderman should be using.

Comment

I've never played an Elixir electric set before, so I don't know how they compare to the acoustic ones. Their "condom coating" corrosion prevention layer exists only on the wound strings. I find this ironic, as I always experience my plain unwound strings wearing out faster tonally and feel-wise than my wound strings. Could you imagine though, if the coating existed on the plain unwound strings, and how slippery it might be when trying to bend those strings?

I think Carvin electrics and acoustics come equipped from the factory with Elixir Nanowebs... a little bit thinner coating and a little more natural feeling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                I have recently switched to Carvin strings (I think they are GHS or Ernie Ball)

[/ QUOTE ]
                                They are indeed GHS Boomers in Carvin packaging. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Those are the 10-46 strings I use. The 11-48 I use on a few guitars now are EB Power Slinky, and I use a 7-string EB Slinky 10-56 set on my 7-string.
                                The Elixirs that were originally on my Carvin SC90 when I got it were pretty bright sounding and I didn't care for them since it's already a bright guitar with maple neck-thru and swamp ash body. The feel of the strings wasn't too bad since it had the thinner coating, but still the Elixirs are just a little too bright.
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X