First time restrining a Floyd. Guess what? Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First time restrining a Floyd. Guess what? Pro

A tech here would ask 50 pounds... That's close to 80 dollars... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] See why I'd rather learn early? :P
    I haven't changed anything yet, I wanted to be 100% sure first. I was about to call the guitar tech at my shop as another way of being sure.
    The action is 2mm below the string, and 3 including the string itself... It's about the same at the 22nd. I don't really know what measurement to take. It used be about 1 but I raised it to see if the buzz would go away. That's what bewildered me. There was NO buzz before aside from the G string but I believe is a separate problem.

Comment

Are you tuning by ear or with a tuner? Is this a new guitar, or one that's minty, or one that's been around the block a few times?

So you haven't adjusted your truss. Good. Adjusting your trem, you don't need to let it settle. You can raise and lower it without having to settle. That being said, I need more info:

Fret each note on every string.... exactly WHERE is the most buzz coming from... open E and A? first few frets on the first few strings, randomly all over the neck? I don't need a fret by fret analysis, but to help I need to know the problem spots on which strings. Which buzzes the loudest?

I see that you originally had an open G string buzz... and were told to adjust the low e side???

You're using heavies and it's a wound string?
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

What kind of guitar is it? Make, model?

If its cheap and you dont care about it too much you could experiment with it.

Lets face it thats what most of us here have done.

Comment

Pott. ust go back to the D'addarios and see if that changes things with the G string before you do anyadjustments to the guitar. It's the least expensive fix that wont require anymore readjusting. Like I said the ernie Balls have a lower tension than the D'addarios do. If you don tlike the D'addarios try either GHS boomers or Dean Markley 2505 or 2506 strings. NOT the blue steals they tend to wear frets out faster due to their cryongenic freezing process.
          Also check to make sure the G string is sitting in the saddle properly. Sometimes if its sitting on the edge(not in the string slot where its supposed to be) it can sound like a buzz too. If the G is the only that buzzes even after going back to the D'addarios take it to your tech when you can.
          Gil

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            NOT the blue steals they tend to wear frets out faster due to their cryongenic freezing process.

[/ QUOTE ]
            It's not the freezing process... it's because they're pure stainless steel strings instead of nickel over steel. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well the weird thing is, if I pick the E string softly there is no buzz. But when I strum chords it's all over the place. I gave it to more experienced guitarists to try and they encountered the same problem so it's not only my playing as far as I can tell. I think the buzzing starts after the 5th fret and pretty much finishes at the 9th.
              It's pretty much the same on the A string, but with slightly less buzz.
              Since I raised the action the G string doesn't buzz when open unless I pick it harsh. I wanted to keep this a temporary action but I haven't lowered it back yet.
              I wasn't told anything about it. The tech chose heavy bottom because he thought they were good strings, he didn't ask me. I really love these.
              I'll definitely try the D'addarios and get those next time I'm in town. Would the GHS in Dean Markley be of the same tension as the d'addarios?
              My guitar is a Charvel model 4, 1988. So yeah it's 16 years old hehe... I totally love it though. Great guitar with a really good building quality, and the best neck I ever came across (I played quite a bunch when I still wanted to buy new). I may replace the bridge this summer for my birthday for a Kalher Steeler or Spyder (a friend of mine has an amazing deal on those but he's not sure which of the two it's going to be). The JT6 is ok but can be annoying sometimes. I use an electronic tuner, the Boss TU80
              Thanks for all the help

Comment

Is the bow in your neck very apparent?

It does sound like you might need to tighten your truss rod a bit.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

There is no bow. I gave it to a more experienced guitarist a bit and he saw none. I'm not totally sure myself. If there is one, it's probably negligible. I have no way of checking for sure.

Comment

Anybody remember KE's Floyd Rose setup video? LINK
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

ohhh good idea there. I just watched that.
                      After a while, I realised that the sustain was not great and that since I didn't use the trem much, I could do with a 4th spring. So I added it, like this || ||. Before it was like /|\. So I just put it to /|||. Maybe it'll change a bit, I'll tune it and try tomorrow. I doubt though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But we'll see about that.
                      Edit: ok I did that... it didn't change much... so meh... I don't know what to do now.

Comment

A good book is "guitar player repair guide"
                        Amazon Link
                        It will cover almost anything you can think of. And if you have short term memory like I do you can always open the book, Good luck.
                        Just one more guitar!

Comment

make sure you are tuning and checking the guitar with it in the paying position. not laying on its back!

gravity will make you change all this shit on your guitar till it plays perfect on its back - only to find out it plays like shit sitting up.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Naaah I always do everything in playing position. Anything else is a risk I'd rather not take.

Comment

So... What should I do...? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Pott, first of all let me say that I think you're a good guy, I respect your enthusiasm, & in no way do I mean to pile on here. But having said that, I think you need to take the guitar back to the tech, get it set up with either 9's or 10's tuned to E or Eb, then leave it alone and focus on playing & advancing as a musician rather than tinkering with your gear. The first year or so of playing is a critical time, and getting yourself caught up in these kinds of headaches just causes frustration & distracts from the whole point of being a player, imo. Messing around with your gear can be a blast, and a hobby in & of itself, but I think the focus should always be on making music. Just my two cents.

Honestly, if I lived near you I'd come over & try to get it set up for you. But there are so many variables here that can be messed up, trying to give advice on what to do next will probably cause more harm than good. A tech is the way to go! In an earlier thread, I suggested that you ask & see if the tech will let you observe him. He can show you how each adjustment affects everything else, & what you need to do to keep from having the same problems again. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X