Ok to leave guitar on stand 24/7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to leave guitar on stand 24/7?

While looking at the awesome guitar room at Tracy's house, I began to wonder if it is OK to leave a guitar on a stand for extended periods of time. I guess I always thought the necks would bow, but I really don't have any facts to back-up this line of thinking. I would love to leave my guitars within easy reach.

So what's the verdict? Is it OK to leave them in a stand?

Thanks everyone,
    Dan

Re: Ok to leave guitar on stand 24/7?

The only problem I've ever encountered is nitro finishes slighly discoloring from extended contact with the rubber/foam pads. Other than that no problems in 20+ years here.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

this same question was posted here recently and as someone said, the pressure the strings apply to the neck are much greater than that applied by the weight of the guitar hanging by it's neck.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        The only problem I've ever encountered is nitro finishes slighly discoloring from extended contact with the rubber/foam pads. Other than that no problems in 20+ years here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually no problems but I got burned one hot summer day, came hope to find that the finish on 3 Gibsons and 2 Fenders had reacted/melted with the compounds in the rubber of the stand. Needless to say I was pissed but as yetanotherone pointed out this is for nitro finishes. My J/C stuff never ha da problem. Just to be safe, I now always place a small piece of cloth between the rubber and the guitar.
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

They are much more susceptible to temp/humidity changes possibly requiring more tweaks,sharp fret-ends,etc. & also they get very dusty quickly causing alot of crackley volume pots/input jacks & more upkeep!!
          As cool as it is to display them,I just prefer to keep mine in their cases when I'm not playing 'em!!

Comment

Sun also fades the newer silked charvel logo's dammit
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

nah Kev it only does that on fakes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we look forward to that one being added to the stable of JCF emoticons? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Nope. That's from his personal stash of Adminicons [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've never had a problem with it apart from the nitro reactions others have mentioned. You can get stands, like the Hercules stands, that won't react with a nitro finish.

Comment

I've been trying to compile a list of guitar companies, years, models, and what finishes they use for this purpose, but I only get so far, then I think fuck it.

Comment

Aren't pretty much all Gibsons nitro finished?

Comment

i would not do it to mine, its got a snapped headstock thats reglued and makes me uncompterble.

Comment

Michael, when that kind of repair is carried out on a guitar, the glue actually makes the break stronger than it was before...as in, it's never gonna break in that place again unless it was repaired improperly.

Comment

Working...
                              X