my wife the Luthier...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my wife the Luthier...

Wow, Dave you never cease to amaze me. And now your wife too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

With you and your wifes genes, your kids are going rule the world bro [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool pics! Cool wife!

Ebony board! Ebony! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

<font color="aqua">Hey thanks for the words my friends, my wife is getting a huge kick out of the comments! I promise to let you guys in on any updates in the future- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

That's Pretty cool Dave. How long did the whole process take her, for the board peel?

Will Lisa train my wife? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My wife read the post and said she thinks it's awesome the two of you are trying to do something like this together. However, she would not attempt it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">Good question, Ron, and one I should have included. It took about 45 minutes from the moment she plugged in the iron till the last of the fretboard popped off. As for training, this is Lisa's first real project like this so she's basically learning as well! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've been a bit of a woodworker (yeah, go ahead and laugh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) for awhile now and I know enough to be "dangerous". What better wat to learn? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
            Dave ->

Comment

Whoa, she did a killer job! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I was going to ask if I could buy the fretboard off ya for a project ...that is until I got to the last picture [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Sooooo.......when does Mrs. Bud get her own JCF membership? She could be "Budlady68" huh! well ya gotta admit...."Mrs. Budman68" just don't sound right! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                All kidding aside, Great work Lisa! I'm excited to see the progress. I will say one thing, if you can work on guitars AND put up with Dave, you must be one hell of a woman! If you guys ever get divorced look me up ok?......oh shit if my wife sees this I'm dead...... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Lisa rules... My wife wont even let me buy guitars, let alone work on them with me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

When Lisa is done she can start giving classes to the significant others of the board members. (Mike to his wife) So honey, I signed you up for this class, removing fretboards 101.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Sooooo.......when does Mrs. Bud get her own JCF membership? She could be "Budlady68" huh! well ya gotta admit...."Mrs. Budman68" just don't sound right! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    All kidding aside, Great work Lisa! I'm excited to see the progress. I will say one thing, if you can work on guitars AND put up with Dave, you must be one hell of a woman! If you guys ever get divorced look me up ok?......oh shit if my wife sees this I'm dead...... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Mark, you have to understand, bro, Lisa hates everything about computers and wants nothing to do with them unless it involves getting a recipe or buying something..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    </font>
                    Dave ->

Comment

Ahhh...gotcha. Can't say I really blame her sometimes!
                      Keep us posted on the project, I'm sure there's something killer in the making! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the pics!! I'm learning something new everyday here! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

well, my wife has gracefully declined doing anymore work on this puppy (Model 6P) as she has her hands full washing the dishes and all (I kid, she's a very busy lady !!!), so I'm taking over (she's still giving advice on the final design though ) and I'm trying to get this one finally finished. Just a note, I've filled in the trem cavity as well (using mahogany and epoxy) but no pics, sorry! It'll still take forever though but here are a few updated pics for ya:

Routes filled (used Poplar) and forearm contour eliminated :

Routes milled level as I removed about 3/32nds from the top to allow the proper thickness for new top (notice the lovely huge hole that appeared after removing material? It was small at one point but someone had added a mini switch and counterbored a very large clearance for the body of the switch in the cavity. Had to refill that :

Clamping the Veneer (you can never have too many clamps!! :ROTF: ):

Headstock Binding route:

Headstock Binding roughed in:

Binding route:

Binding roughed in:

Next will be to finish the binding, attach the bound fretboard then start tapping in the frets and finishing the fretwork.
                          Dave ->

Comment

nice! looks great so far. Congrats to u and the MRS.

Comment

Awesome, Dave! 6P for piezo?

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                                Awesome, Dave! 6P for piezo?
                                thanks fellas,

Dana: no sir, that's strike one -
                                Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                                X