No announcement yet.

my wife the Luthier...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's "Priceless". Dave may not have saved jillions, but whatever the cost was does it matter? That's a real family heirloom that generations will admire.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

• Don't tell me you also custom made a mouth-held camera..?

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post

Dave, thank you for this magnificent thread. Thanks for the pictures and your words. You are a great inspiration to me and your skills and attention to detail has kept me coming back to this thread countless times. The guitar is... awesome
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

• fuck im jealous. Im not a P90 guy, but that looks like a VERY expensive custom guitar with all the finest trimmings!!! I cant wait to see more future projects!

Comment

• Hi Everyone: New guy here. How did you fix the chunk missing out of the tip of the head stock? Thanks for taking the time to share all this it turned out great.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
            Don't tell me you also custom made a mouth-held camera..?
            I thought he was holding the camera with his prehensile wang?!
            Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
              Don't tell me you also custom made a mouth-held camera..?
              :ROTF: You guys kill me....

Thanks so much again for the comments, everyone, they mean alot -

Hi Everyone: New guy here. How did you fix the chunk missing out of the tip of the head stock?
              Very good question!! I just looked through my pics and I can not believe I didn't include that in the thread so thank you for making me double check!

Basically I wanted to stabilize it with something that would be integrated into the "meat" of the headstock, and not just a chunk of filler of somekind as that would probably be a little weak and crack and possibly fall off over time. I had also used this trick with a Model 5A that I did years ago and it's still undetectable.

All I did was to rough up the surface of the cracked off area and drill 3 small holes that I could tap some maple toothpics into. This acts like "re-bar" that's used in concrete work.

Unfortunately I did not find pics of how I made a cavity out of tape to hold the epoxy as it dried. I did the epoxy in layers because if I just put one big blob of epoxy in there, it wouldn't dry correctly. Inbetween each layer I used a coarse rat tail file to rough it up so that the next layer of epoxy has something to bite into.

Sorry, I couldn't find a close up of the point when it was final sanded either, but you get the idea.....

Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

• Bud. Do I have a Mod 6 for you.:ROTF: Way back when, I bought that glittered out Mod 6. Anyone remember?:ROTF: Once I wade through all the shit I have and get it sorted out between my two trailers, I'll post a pic. If anyone can make it right, you can.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

• Wow Budman68,
                  What a great project.
                  And the pics of the progress are great also.
                  This work looks fantastic.
                  You and your wife give hope for all of us back yard luthers.

Comment

Working...
                  X