Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make a rosewood feel like ebony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it possible to make a rosewood feel like eb

[ QUOTE ]
    my whole point was that it seems that once you start, it's easy to get way up in your head over things that just don't matter. never in my life have i ever noticed how opengrained a fretboard is. not to say that everyone should be like me, but seriously, some things are such a non-issue. yes, set your guitar up the way you want, but this is a bit much, imo.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying about the "slippery slope" effect of details when it comes to playing guitar, however, not everyone plays with high frets and the wood on the fingerboard is MUCH more apparent in that case. There IS a difference.

On the other hand I can play any shape of guitar....doesn't matter to me in the least...but the neck shape, fret size, fretboard, nut size, etc, have to be for me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Funny story-last week my roommate was folding his laundry and ran across a few pairs of boxer-briefs. He looked at them for a minute and then he said "Hey...these aren't mine!! I've been wearing someone else's underwear for two weeks!" Apparently someone must have left them in the dryer and they got mixed up. All I know is that I don't get that upset when I play someone else's guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the fukk do you come up with these ... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Dude I'm totally not making that up! It's a true story, and that post made me think of it.

Comment

Now this i find potentially hilariously ironic.

so i get a new neck in the other day. nice brazillian rosewood fretboard. a little lighter than i prefer, but a simple oiling will darken it up a tad (no, i'm not against that! lol). but as i was lookin at it , i noticed that the grain was very open and porous in some areas. i laughed until i stopped! is this what you were originally talkin about?

if that were ebony, i'd have been really pissed b/c those probably would have been cracks, and i'd have to bust out the superglue and razor, but being rosewood, it's okay. so anyway, i thought that was funny as hell.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Now this i find potentially hilariously ironic.

OMG, that's just TOTALLY unplayable!! [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, better put a whole new fingerboard on that one. Preferably ebony.

Oh, and the dots make it look "cheap". So make sure the ebony has sharkfins. And binding. It looks cheesy without binding. And totally unacceptable unless the binding is over the fret ends.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

heh...well i'm with ya on the binding over the frets part! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Now this i find potentially hilariously ironic

why? you just waste valuable fret length......

speaking of bindings.... what do you use to mask them when you taint a fretboard? i darkened a dk2 neck a while ago, and some taint got on the bindings and it was a pain in the ass to clean up.
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

You taint your fretboard? You sick FREAK! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

not gonna argue with you on the binding over frets issue: you have to accept the fact that it's viewed as a high end option. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i've also never had issues with getting a string stuck where the fret ends and the nib begins.

and i'm with ron on the taint thing. you're sick. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        OMG, that's just TOTALLY unplayable!! [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">smart ass .... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

of course it's unplayable.. it doesn't have any strings. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

then again, delt, in all seriousness, did you mean "tint" or "stain" a fretboard? since i've never done anything to a fretboard other than oil it, i've never worried about masking things off. i would imagine that if someone was taking stain to a fretboard (bad idea, use dye!), you could use a razor to scrape the bindings clean.

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              then again, delt, in all seriousness, did you mean "tint" or "stain" a fretboard? since i've never done anything to a fretboard other than oil it, i've never worried about masking things off. i would imagine that if someone was taking stain to a fretboard (bad idea, use dye!), you could use a razor to scrape the bindings clean.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Agreed, and be careful with the dye, it's great, but it stains most anything! </font>
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Agreed, and be careful with the dye, it's great, but it stains most anything! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now I'm really confused. What's the difference in stain and dye? Sully says to use dye, not stain....budman says that dye will stain. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
                                [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X