Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make a rosewood feel like ebony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it possible to make a rosewood feel like eb

I think you guys are getting alittle carried away.LOL glad to have a part in you guys getting your laugh on.all my guitars except my stratplus are scared someway or another but all play butter.I agree that you should be able to play the shit out of a Hondo,But it doesn't mean that you like it
    www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

I'm a long time San Dimas Charvel and Jackson snob. I'm also a GMW snob. I was a Suhr player, too. For years I never gave a glance at guitars that didn't cost $1200 minimum. I couldn't play a guitar that didn't have the EXACT right fret height or bridge height, the EXACT formulation of oil and grime in the fretboard. I've cast aside guitars that were, to use your word, "sacred".

I now am the very proud owner of a $500 Mexican Robert Cray Strat that absolutely and positively SMOKES every guitar I've owned to this point, bar none done deal. This thing has more soul and mojo than my last ten SD Charvels rolled into one. If this thing had a San Dimas neckplate on it, my head would fukkin explode. So would yours! Chew on that one.

I agree with Sully. This place is chock full of people way more concerned with the grain on their fingerboard than rocking out with most of somebody elses Bud Light all over you and your sacred guitar.

Rock and Roll is not supposed to be Pretty and Correct.

Comment

Well put Chuck! It don't matter how much it costs, or how the grain is. If it plays and sounds good, who cares about anything else! Just PLAY it!

Comment

well if there's a dent in the finish you have to fix that...... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

<font color="aqua">you guys freakin kill me, if the guy wants to make his guitar feel, play or look better TO HIM, then let him go. Maybe he likes to tinker with the damn things and wants to improve on it, is that so wrong? Maybe for some reason he's not the best player and is looking for every advantage, oh, but wait, you guys know everything about playing and that's why you're all superstars, I forgot.

Let him have a little fun, it's not like he's out hurting anyone....sorry about the rant, just getting a little tired of the holier than though attitude around here lately........ </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Just get a scalloped neck.. problem solved.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Just get a scalloped neck.. problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

To get back on track and answer the original question, I would perform what has been already suggested using a grain filler. You could use a oil based med. dark brown filler, or light base filler tinted to the shade you like (See www.stewmac.com for filler and tints), or use Stewmac's clear filler if you like the color of the board the way it is now. Clean the board using naptha (lighter fluid). Make sure to get any crud built up near the frets. Smooth the filler on and use the razor blade technique. Let it dry about 24 hrs. min. then buff the board with some 0000 steel wool. You will basically end up with no grain feel.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

That is a good suggestion. I do not mean to bust anyones balls here so I mean no offense when I get on my high horse. (If I do get signed.. you'll be the first to know eh?) I know there is a difference in some fretboards and that can be rather irritating when switching from a preferred neck to one where there is slight resistance.
                    In fact.. I have a aftermarket maple neck that I have yet to install that I can tell is going to have this problem as the board feels gritty. I do not think I'll fill it as I believe it is more of a unfinished sanding/finishing issue than a open grain/wide pore type of deal. I've been debating if I want t fine sand it or use 0000 steel woll or just let it ride and play it and see if it breaks in.

Comment

If there's one part of your rig that should be exactly the way you want it...it should be the guitar!!! Your hands are all over it...it's an extension of you.

Playing someone elses guitar setup for them to their specs is like wearing someone else's underwear....

Change the effects or amp or whatever...BUT GIVE ME MY GUITAR

Comment

my whole point was that it seems that once you start, it's easy to get way up in your head over things that just don't matter. never in my life have i ever noticed how opengrained a fretboard is. not to say that everyone should be like me, but seriously, some things are such a non-issue. yes, set your guitar up the way you want, but this is a bit much, imo.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, you're right. I guess everyone has their own idea of how a guitar should be (but I do agree with delt's dent thing if it's on the neck) I just LOVE to play and that's it! Nothing better than jamming! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

That's one of the hazards of hanging out with guitarists-turned-technicians - once the ideas of wood grain and this and that get spread around and more technicians chime in on it, it becomes one of those psychological barriers that affects your everyday playing.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Funny story-last week my roommate was folding his laundry and ran across a few pairs of boxer-briefs. He looked at them for a minute and then he said "Hey...these aren't mine!! I've been wearing someone else's underwear for two weeks!" Apparently someone must have left them in the dryer and they got mixed up. All I know is that I don't get that upset when I play someone else's guitar.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X