Fitting modern single coils in 80s Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting modern single coils in 80s Jackson

Hi. I'm sure this has come up plenty, but I've never cared about singles, so I've never paid attention.

Anyway, I have a 1989 soloist that is HSS. It has the skinny single coil routes for the J200. I have some singles laying around the house and just wanted to throw one in for fun to see how it sounds, but all my singles have the larger base plate that doesn't fit in the skinny routes. Has anyone had any luck routing the base plates down to fit? is there a common procedure to do this? I don't want to buy and wait for a J200 when I have plenty of singles here at the house and its just for fun anyway.

Just in case Im not being clear, the guitar has single coil routes like the one here:

And all my singles have the large base plate like this:

200's arnt really singles. any ways seymour and dimarzio both make pups that will fit in those routs

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
      Hi. I'm sure this has come up plenty, but I've never cared about singles, so I've never paid attention.

Anyway, I have a 1989 soloist that is HSS. It has the skinny single coil routes for the J200. I have some singles laying around the house and just wanted to throw one in for fun to see how it sounds, but all my singles have the larger base plate that doesn't fit in the skinny routes. Has anyone had any luck routing the base plates down to fit? is there a common procedure to do this? I don't want to buy and wait for a J200 when I have plenty of singles here at the house and its just for fun anyway.

Just in case Im not being clear, the guitar has single coil routes like the one here:

And all my singles have the large base plate like this:

Where did you get a soloist fusion or is that not your soloist? Might start out with a file or dremel wheel if you are not scared
      Last edited by john.w.lawson; 04-02-2022, 12:26 PM.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

That one isn't mine (I sure wish it was). my soloist is a beat up 89 student model.

I'm definitely not going to file the body, but I think I'll start screwing around with the pickups to see if I can get them to fit

Comment

I wouldn't do it. I'd order flangeless singles.

The J200's sound very good to me with an active boost like in my Model 6. Does your Student still have the boost or was it ripped out? J200's might sound like mud without the boost.

Comment

That one isn't mine (I sure wish it was). my soloist is a beat up 89 student model.

I'm definitely not going to file the body, but I think I'll start screwing around with the pickups to see if I can get them to fit
            I was talking about the pickups
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

haha, I figured you were, but I just had to be sure

I had forgotten that the j200s pretty much have to have an active circuit with them. I bought the body years ago with nothing else so if I do buy a single for it, I'll just get a duncan that doesnt need anything else.

I really need to get my model 6 going again, there is a short somewhere in it.

Comment

haha, I figured you were, but I just had to be sure

I had forgotten that the j200s pretty much have to have an active circuit with them. I bought the body years ago with nothing else so if I do buy a single for it, I'll just get a duncan that doesnt need anything else.

I really need to get my model 6 going again, there is a short somewhere in it.
                https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...n-j-200-pickup

Comment

Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups fit and sound great. I’ve done this for some of my Jacksons and Charvels with that route.
                  Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                  My collection also there!

Comment

Both SD and DiMarzio offer tabless singles. You have to order then that way.
                    -Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X