Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct replacement for Jackson J-200 pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct replacement for Jackson J-200 pickup?

My Charvel spectrum has a compliment of 3 J-200 pickups. Although they are ok, I'm pretty sure there are better pickups out there. The problem is that standard single coil size pickups don't seem to fit becuase of the lip at the bottom of the pickup. I've tried a newer model Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge but I didn't particularly like the sound and more importantly it has metal inserts when the mounting screws fix to the pickup. These inserts made original pickup mounting screws not fit the SD pickup, so I couldn't secure it to the guitar very well.

So does anyone know of a single coil sized pickup that:-

1. Sounds significantly better than the J-200
    2. doesn't have the lip at the bottom
    3. Doesn't have metal inserts for the mounting screws
    4. preferably has the wire coming out the side of the pickup (like the J-200) and not from the middle.

It's pretty hard to find something to that spec, so has anyone else managed to find something suitable?

Oh and I don't want to route the guitar body, I like the way it looks now!

I;ve bought some Duncan's that are a direct swap for the j200s but you have to order them. You'll have to look for them on ebay

Here's one on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEYMOUR-DUNC...item2314c88795
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

There's plenty of Duncans that are the style like the one 84sups posted. Depending on the paint thickness in the cavity, They fit as is or maybe some slight filing of the edges. Also, with the wire coming out the side, you can slightly file the material under it to have the wire come out the bottom and be out of the way. I have Little 59's and Duckbuckers that are exactly like that in my Model 6 and Soloist Pro.

You can also modify the ones with the lip to fit as well. I have a Dimarzio SDS-1 in the neck of my Soloist Custom that was done before I got it but looks like they just cut/filed around the material where the wires are soldered on the lip and cut the lip off. Fits and works perfect. There's a video somewhere. I can't find it from work but if you want it, I'll look tomorrow.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

One thing I did was find old pickups that came out of old usa jacksons since they have the same setup as the old charvels.With the metal inserts, most pickups don't come as direct mount pickups so no matter what you're going to have to make the holes bigger unless you custom order them. One set of pickups that I found that had no lip and sounded better than the Jackson pickups were the red lace sensors.

Comment

You know, I was playing my Model 6 and noticed that I really like the J-200s. I think you might have an issue with #1.

Comment

have you looked on www.guitarfetish.com for what you're looking for? they probably have just the ticket for you.
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Seymour Duncan referenced in that ebay listing is EXACTLY what I had and got rid of. The screws that come with the SD that fit in those brass screw inserts don't fit the guitar and the ones with the J200 don't fit the SD! Of course I could fill the screw holes on the guitar and re-drill them to fit the SD screws but I don't want to go butchering the guitar.

I thought about Lace Sensors as well, maybe I'll take a closer look at them.

I'm also in the UK so getting GFS pickups is a bit of a pain here. I've looked at Iron Gear, bareknuckle, artec, dimarzio, SD but nothing seems to fit spot on. Maybe I'll have to think about getting some custom wound or something...

or just get used to the J200's !

Thx anyway.

Comment

I knew I was keeping the SD's I have so I drilled through the brass inserts and used the factory screws.
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I played my Model 6 yesterday. I still like the J200s. Might not be a single coil tone, but I like the tone, and the lack of hum. FYI, mine are screwed in all the way down to the body, so they are just a little weak compared to the J80C (I bought the Model 6 unloaded an decided to try a J80C instead of the regular J50C).

I think I'll raise them up a bit the next time I try it. Maybe just the neck.

Comment

Hi guys...sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am in the same situation as the OP. I have a 90s SSH Soloist and while I like the mid-boost, the J-200 are really not my cup of tea (to put it mildly). My requirements are the same as the OP. Also, the guitar is quite bright (maple neck with poplar wings) and ideally the replacement pickups should have lower highs.

I did some extensive search and it looks there only 3 direct options: Seymour Duncan SSL-3, SSL-5 or SSL-6. Everything else either has a lip or the metal inserts.

It looks the SSL-3 is closer to what I am looking for (even it is a relatively high-output).

I'd appreciate if you have any experience with these pickups or could offer other alternatives.

Thanks

Comment

Dimarzio offers all their single coils without the flange/lip on them. Any Dimarzio dealer can order them but some don't even know it's an option.

Comment

You can order Bare Knuckles with the option "EMG SHAPE STRAT COILS"

Comment

I still like the J200's, but I think any manufacturer can take a special order for a lipless pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                            Dimarzio offers all their single coils without the flange/lip on them. Any Dimarzio dealer can order them but some don't even know it's an option.
                            Yep. The same goes for Duncan.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bill Lawrence L-250B fits perfectly and works great with Jackson JE-1200 midboots. Good replacement for J-200. I have a set of two in my Charvel model 4. Greetings.

Comment

Working...
                              X