recessed vs non-recressed Floyd Rose tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: recessed vs non-recressed Floyd Rose tremolo

i've owned both, and various trem types as well, and i musts ay i prefer recessed.. actually the more recessed the better.. i like it wher i can raise the pitch a 5th

but really.. both are great, feel the same.. i don't notice anythign different other than when i pull the bar up.

Comment

I like non recessed.

When it lies against the body, IMO you get much more tone and sustain, the body resonates more. Tuning stability (tremolo wise) is hard to beat.

Comment

The "missing wood" and "resting on the body" myths have yet to be proven.
        For the recessed trems, there's not enough wood taken away to noticeably affect the string's vibration or the pickup's response.
        Likewise for resting on the body - the pickups don't care either way. What you're hearing is the acoustic property of direct contact and body mass, which doesn't transfer to the pickups. As well, you're WANTING the tone to be distinctly different between the two because you've heard that it's different, so your mindset makes you think it's different, but I bet that if you only heard the same thing played on both types of unseen guitars you'd not be able to tell them apart.
        This also applies to stopbar/TOM and direct-mounted pickups.

And I'd like to see someone adjust the neck angle on a neckthrough [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc: good points. After all is it a solid-body electric guitar, made to minimize feedback-causing vibrations in the body.

I too prefer recessed Floyds. More bridge height adjustability room and the ability to pull back on the bar, which I do whenever possible.

I find no (very little?) diff in playability from recessed to non-recessed.

Comment

I would have to agree that there would be no real noticeable tonal difference between recessed and non recessed. It just doesn't seem that there would be if you look at the physics of it. Of course my non recessed Floyd is on my 650xl which has that extra route under the bridge for no apparent reason.

Comment

I can pull up on the bar on my non-recessed Floyd on my Shannon. I get as much pull-up as on a recessed Floyd. If I was having a Mad Dr. Newcenstein moment, I probably could carve out a cavity below the trem for INSANE pull-ups. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The only difference in pull-ups is that the trem is stopped by the body surface on a non-recessed (risk of scratching/denting the beautiful finish) and stopped by the spongy material on the inside of the trem cavity on a recessed.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I already asked this in another thread, but it was pretty off topic there and no one replied...

From reading some threads I noticed that a lot of you guys prefer non-recessed Floyd Rose tremolos. Is it only because of the look or does it have a special advantage compared to a recessed one?

[/ QUOTE ]
                for me i like the non recessed so the OFR will rest against the body,my old 80's kramer is like this,but my jackson has the recess route.

Comment

i prefer the recessed floyd feel too. plus i like the ability to do subtle upwards bends by pressing on the rear of the trem, and of course pulling upwards

you can always block a floating trem so that it will have the "stability" of a resting/non-recessed one, just add a wedge between the sustain block and the front of the trem cavity. or even better, install a tremsetter (:

..... and where does the whammy bar fit on a non-recessed? i didn't really examine one closely.....
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    And I'd like to see someone adjust the neck angle on a neckthrough [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I wish I could! LOL Most TOM bridges are higher off the body and have tilted back necks, just like a guitar with a non-recessed Floyd. My Carvin SC90 is neck-thru with a TOM bridge, but the neck is straight and the TOM is a lower profile. It's not that big of a deal, but I do prefer the neck tilt and the bridges being a little higher off the body.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

just curious, what shim/wedge would you use to adjust the neck angle on a bolt-on? if it's possible and not to "hacky" i might tilt the neck a liiiitle backwards on my rhoads....
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

Try a guitar pick or two.

Comment

a pick..... like between the 2 "inside" screws in the neck pocket?

wouldn't the gtr lose some resonance because of the neck not having as much wood in contact with the body?

Comment

No, because it's more in the nut/saddle relationship than the wood/wood (see anything made of graphite, like the Moses necks).

Instead of a pick, I'd get a piece of paper - or a piece of a business-type card - and putit under the heel between the two rear screws of the neck against the back of the pocket. Done it that way for years and it works every time. With a pick, it's too easy for it to slide sideways before you get it bolted down. You can use Scotch tape I suppose, but I'd rather have the shim the same height all the way across the pocket than just something in the middle.

And of course, he means a pick like the regular sized thin ones - don't jam a Dunlop Jazz III in there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

or a stubby [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i was thinking of cutting a piece out of a CD case that will fit the neck pocket's width... the thin ones, plastic is about the same thickness as a .73mm dunlop.

but i think a few layers of construction paper will do the trick better. thanks for the tip! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, anything that'll give it a little tilt will work fine. I got the pick idea from WarriorX7, as I know he told me used picks as shims in a couple guitars he built.

Comment

Working...
                                X