No announcement yet.

What PUPs are you loving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loathe both of those pickups so that is good and I am rather fond of the 85
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

EMG 81

there can be only one...

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
        EMG 81

there can be only one...
        Mine lives in a box of parts
        Hail yesterday

Comment

The 81 to me isn't bad for what it does but it is really a boring sounding pup. I prefer an 85.
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I bought the Chuck Stealth, which is a very light guitar with lots highs. The pre-installed X2N was over-the-top for my taste, so I installed an EMG81 which suited the guitar very well. Then I learned about BKP and bought an aftermath. And for that guitar this was the perfect matching PU. It sounds like a saw. In other guitars the BKPs don't sound as good as I expected. In my DK1 or WR1 they are much too dead sounding. I'll change over to 81/85. Every guitar needs its own pickup. Not every PUs sounds the same in even guitars from the same "product-line" is what I learned from this.

Comment

BG HellaBucker, Hand wound and same cost as a new Duncan, great tone!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                Mine lives in a box of parts
                Mine are all in the neck position.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by v4rg View Post
                  I bought the Chuck Stealth, which is a very light guitar with lots highs. The pre-installed X2N was over-the-top for my taste, so I installed an EMG81 which suited the guitar very well. Then I learned about BKP and bought an aftermath. And for that guitar this was the perfect matching PU. It sounds like a saw. In other guitars the BKPs don't sound as good as I expected. In my DK1 or WR1 they are much too dead sounding. I'll change over to 81/85. Every guitar needs its own pickup. Not every PUs sounds the same in even guitars from the same "product-line" is what I learned from this.
                  I don't know about BKP, but I've always liked the X2N over the 81. I also use the 81 in the neck and prefer the 85 in the bridge.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

DiMarzio Crunch Lab and LiquiFire are my current favorites.

Followed by EMG 81 and 85.

Then the Wilde USA L500's or whatever the hell model number they are.

Had a set of BK Aftermaths. Thought they were the worst sounding pickups ever. A friend tried my set then texted me that he hated me. I sold them on Craigslist and the seller emailed me and asked if he could return them to me. LOL. Nope.

Comment

My favorites these days are Duncan Custom8 (Custom with A8 magnet) and recently I've gotten a very, very tingly feeling down below from JB8 (JB with A8 magnet). C8's in my Soloist PRO and Ibanez RGT42. JB8 in my RRTMG and one going in my Model 6 later tonight. I still love the un-modded Custom and (in certain guitars) JB as well. For the necks I still love the regular old '59 or the lil '59 for a single coil size.
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

@toejam: I have the 81@neck and 85@bridge-position, too. I have this set in an old 94 Dinky Reverse and it sounds pretty good with my amp settings. I think the BKPs bring out more the natural sound of the instrument and boost that instead of giving you just the sound of the Pickup like an 81 does.

Comment

DiMarzio PAF in the neck is my goto.
                          Bridge pickups I love - JB, Custom, Distortion. DiMarzio Super D. EMG 81. Bill Lawrence USA 500XL. I really love those, they kick ass for metal.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by v4rg View Post
                            @toejam: I have the 81@neck and 85@bridge-position, too. I have this set in an old 94 Dinky Reverse and it sounds pretty good with my amp settings. I think the BKPs bring out more the natural sound of the instrument and boost that instead of giving you just the sound of the Pickup like an 81 does.
                            Nice. I had a '94 Dinky Reverse which was the first guitar I had EMGs in, 81 bridge and 85 neck. I liked the 81 a little better when tuned down to D or below.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use:

EVH bridge

Duncan JB, Jazz, '59 and Custom Custom

EMG SAs (Dave Gilmour set up)

Fender noiseless

DiMarzio Virtual Vintage strat set

DiMarzio 36 anniversary

Can't pick a fav!

Comment

Does anyone use Bare Knuckle pups?