No announcement yet.

What PUPs are you loving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed a bill and becky l500xl..
    fair play - it's a monster! ;-)
    real tight with pinched harmonics all over the fret board!

Comment

Installed an EMG 85 (bridge) and a Dimarzio Evolution (bridge). Lovin' both.
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
        im a big Iron Gear fan.. I have a Rolling Mills in the neck of my hsh strat.. really diggin the tone.. i have 1 sec of actives, 2 single coils and 2 humbucker models by iron gear..Rolling mills just stands out.. the pig iron sc sounds nice too
        http://axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_032.htm

My absolute favorite pup is my 1979 T TOP pup in my #1 dk-2.. sounds phenomenal IMO.. very creamy and harmonically pleasing to my ears.. I wish i could split it though.. LOL..

i really prefer medium output pups.. some say you cant do metal with 'em.. i say BS

im also liking the fender triplebucker in my stagemaster.. did not think i would and only really bought one just to experiment with..had to do some research and a bit DMM probing/note taking to figure out how to wire it though..

I got the rolling mills overwound set. I am not the biggest fan. They aren't bad but for that tone I have a war and the Gibson 57+ that both are way clearer imho. The regular wound might be better but the overwound while not bad pickups sound a bit fizzy and dampened.
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
          Installed an EMG 85 (bridge) and a Dimarzio Evolution (bridge). Lovin' both.
          The 85 is a great pickup. My pal worked at EMG when there was 10 people working there. He gave me a 81/85 combo and I swapped positions. I think the 85 is hotter and definitely thicker. The 85 is a great pickup in a Fusion. I am starting to come around on the evolution to. It would be a great pickup for a Cover Band pretty good canvas. I really like the Tone Zone though in my bolt on, it is so close to my favorite, but it just needs to be a little tighter.

I dont know Im on a pickup mission now. UGH - Just got a SL2H with the dreaded JB/59. I know some guys like them but it the JB seems flat and the 59 is not as fluid as I would like

Comment

I'm loving the seymour duncan invader bridge. It's so tight with the correct amp. So tight that I'm considering changing my guitar from a double hum to a one.

Comment

I dunno, these days I like almost any pickup, as long as it doesn't say "EMG" on it. I have a crapload of them, and I just don't care for them anymore. They just sound tired and uninspiring to me. Even on 18V.

I love P90s.
              I still love the Jackson J-80C, but I need a good hot neck singlecoil to pair it up with. Maybe SD Quarter Pound.
              The Duncan Distortion never disappoints. Raw, tight and kicking ass.
              I have a Dimebucker in my KV mutt, and it's fucking awesome. Ballsy, tight and screaming, without being too hot.
              I'm about to pull the trigger on a Duncan Custom and a Phat Cat Neck (HB sized P90). That is goint to be fun.

Pups I don't like (aside from EMGs):

Jackson J-50N. Wow, talk about non happening. I don't know if mine is broken somehow, but I have never had a quieter humbucker ever, and with zero treble response. I switch to the neck position, and the guitar just dies. Almost like pushing a kill switch. And yes, it was wired in correctly. Maybe it got demagnetized somehow? Because I can't for the life of me understand why Jackson would put that thing in a guitar.

"Select", passive pickups designed by EMG, before they did their own passive pickups. The worst piece of shite pickups I've owned. Low output and bassy to the extreme. Absolutely useless in anything but tin can guitars. But - at least they had character. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                I dunno, these days I like almost any pickup, as long as it doesn't say "EMG" on it. I have a crapload of them, and I just don't care for them anymore. They just sound tired and uninspiring to me. Even on 18V.

Pups I don't like (aside from EMGs):

Jackson J-50N. Wow, talk about non happening. I don't know if mine is broken somehow, but I have never had a quieter humbucker ever, and with zero treble response. I switch to the neck position, and the guitar just dies. Almost like pushing a kill switch. And yes, it was wired in correctly. Maybe it got demagnetized somehow? Because I can't for the life of me understand why Jackson would put that thing in a guitar.

"Select", passive pickups designed by EMG, before they did their own passive pickups. The worst piece of shite pickups I've owned. Low output and bassy to the extreme. Absolutely useless in anything but tin can guitars. But - at least they had character. :P
                I took a J50N out of an old Kelly XLR I had and put it into an old Dinky HX with a Tone Zone in the bridge. The J50N was probably one of my favorite neck pickups ever.

I don't really care too much for EMGs these days either, but I still have an 85b/81n in my Les Paul Studio and 85b/60n in my other Dinky HX.

As far as the EMG Selects, I had a set of those in my Dinky before the 85/60 set, and I liked them for the most part. They were indeed pretty bass heavy, but they didn't seem all that low output from what I remember.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  I took a J50N out of an old Kelly XLR I had and put it into an old Dinky HX with a Tone Zone in the bridge. The J50N was probably one of my favorite neck pickups ever.
                  Indeed! That would support my notion that it is somehow broken.

Comment

Must be. Mine had a great PAF tone to it, smooth, not too bassy. The only reason I took it out of the Kelly is because I wanted hotter pups at the time and put in a set of Invaders. I did wind up selling the Dinky to a forum member here and he loved the pickup, too.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X