Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to really dislike locking trems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
    +2 I love locking trems.
    +3.. I love them as well.. I dont even use them much except for the occasional dive or wobble.. I just like the stability and feel.. As for breaking strings.. I never break any
    GEAR:
    #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
    #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
    #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
    #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
    #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
    AMPS:
    1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
    ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
      Nah neither of them have a JT-6. The Model 3 has a Kahler 2700 (killer) which I like BETTER than an OFR and the 5 FX has a Schaller made Charvel branded JT-590 that came off of a now defunct 475 DLX.
      I've played just about every Kahler under the sun and while there are a lot of great models from Kahler I completely disagree with that statement. I would agree that the 2700 is just as reliable as the Original Floyd but I would never say it's better. Just my opinion.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I've played just about every Kahler under the sun and while there are a lot of great models from Kahler I completely disagree with that statement. I would agree that the 2700 is just as reliable as the Original Floyd but I would never say it's better. Just my opinion.
        Everybody's got an opinion

Because it IS better than the Floyd....my opinion
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Everybody's got an opinion

Because it IS better than the Floyd....my opinion
          I can respect that. Can I ask why you thinks it's better. I had a Peavey Nitro with a 2700 on it back in the day and it worked great but I couldn't say it was better than an OFR. I do believe those trems are licensed by Floyd Rose as well. Any particular reason you like it better or is it just a matter of personal taste?
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Block them for dive only. If you love the guitars otherwise it will take away all the tuning hassles, but still allow you to use the trem. (Albeit only to lower the pitch and divebomb, but you can still get a nice vibrato on chords with dive only.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              If I had the money I would.
              Locking trems are easy to work on so I don't have an issue with them.
              +1 Floyds rock. Said it MANY times already: there's no way in hell I can do what I do with a Floyd, on a traditional 2 or 6 point. Just no way. Jeff Beck's Strat is the only one I know that could get even close to the variety of effects that a properly set up Floyded ax can.
              Last edited by vector; 01-03-2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I can respect that. Can I ask why you thinks it's better. I had a Peavey Nitro with a 2700 on it back in the day and it worked great but I couldn't say it was better than an OFR. I do believe those trems are licensed by Floyd Rose as well. Any particular reason you like it better or is it just a matter of personal taste?
                I like the feel of the 2700. It feels sleeker under the palm and yet more solid at the same time. Also, to my ears the tone from my guitar equipped with the 2700 seems to be "fuller" than any of my bud's Floyd equipped gits. Granted that it is pretty tough to narrow the difference in tone to the difference in trems, but I think that the solid mass of the 2700 (its at least a 1/4lb heavier than any of his Floyd Roses) really does attribute to that full sound I hear that I hear from the 2700 equipped guitar that I do not get from any of the Floyded ones.

And yes, it is a licensed copy of the FR. But so is the original Ibby Edge trem and that is another one I would put up against any FR
                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  Block them for dive only. If you love the guitars otherwise it will take away all the tuning hassles, but still allow you to use the trem. (Albeit only to lower the pitch and divebomb, but you can still get a nice vibrato on chords with dive only.
                  Yep that's the plan. Dive only. But that still doesn't alleviate the PITA that a setup from scratch (no strings on the guitar for whatever reason) that a double locker creates.

Comment

I dug out an old Floyd-equipped guitar recently and put on a different string gauge. So I had to re-level the trem, intonate, etc. I think I did it all in an hour and a half or so. And it will probably stay that way for a long time through hundreds of hours of play.

A slightly painful 1.5hr setup vs hundreds of hours of playing ahead = no big deal.

I always remove all of the strings when I restring any guitar, including Floyds. No big deal when you stick an eraser or something under the Floyd to keep the springs from pulling it down.

Comment

Arse I started as a prejudice hater. But my Slime Green Pro Mod with 3 stiff springs can deliver as much raw power and tone as any 1974 Les Paul Custom....almost. I do dislike recessed floyds, but only because they are usually set up with loose springs and I prefer a higher bridge height, although apart from Strats..so erm....that is probably psychosomatic too. I don't know, but can't get on with them spiritually or physically. Feels all wrong to me. As for set ups being slower. Arse. No way in the world, apart from intonation which is a single deal, you just haven't had enough practice.
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Of course they're slower. There's more parts to the set up. More steps takes more time. Can't deny that

Comment

ANOTHER thing I don't like about any of the dbl lockers....none of them have individual saddle height adjustments...THAT is something I REALLY like on traditional trems.

Comment

Is there a question in all of this Floyd slagging?

Comment

ANOTHER thing I don't like about any of the dbl lockers....none of them have individual saddle height adjustments...THAT is something I REALLY like on traditional trems.
                              I've only worried about that on one guitar. An EBMM Axis. The mismatch in bridge/fretboard radius was enough to be noticeable. Anyway, I installed shims under some of the saddles and got it dialed right in. A bit tedious, but again....not that difficult and a one time deal.

Probs with some traditional trems: saddle height adjustment screws dig into your hand. Also, the screws can be prone to working downward on their own. Both of those are fairly easily fixable.

It's really just preference, I reckon. Most excuses for not liking Floyds can be shot down rather easily. Most trems are fairly easy to work on, so yeah, it just comes down to personal preference.

Comment

Eh, I just buy OFR steel shims and set the radius of the bridge to match the neck before I install the trem. Takes about 5 minutes. I actually prefer having two screws to adjust string height at the bridge instead of twelves.

Comment

Working...
                                X