Top Mount v. Recessed Trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
    Top mount bridge height and neck angle is similar to a TOM bridge Les Paul. That is pretty much it for me and it's how my technique has developed.

Also you can make the pups stick out further on a top mount.
    And what is your point with this statement?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
      flush mount (and I do mean FLAT up against the body) does allow you to break a string and keep more or less in tune.
      That's not true.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
        That's not true.
        Okay. Care to elaborate on that?
        I've had flush-mounted floyds where I've broken strings and was able to continue to play in tune. From what I've read elsewhere, I'm not the only one to have experienced this.

Comment

Makes sense to me. If the trem is resting flat against the body and you break a string, just exactly how is the spring tension going to pull the trem down lower thus out of tune?
          In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

i wouldn't know. when i break a string i just run off the stage, hide my guitar, take a seat in the audience and start heckling the rest of the band while they try to figure out what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by boxsmiley View Post
              i wouldn't know. when i break a string i just run off the stage, hide my guitar, take a seat in the audience and start heckling the rest of the band while they try to figure out what to do.
              Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                Okay. Care to elaborate on that?
                I've had flush-mounted floyds where I've broken strings and was able to continue to play in tune. From what I've read elsewhere, I'm not the only one to have experienced this.
                The laws of physics?

Do you seriously think string or spring tension changes when you change bridge height?

Comment

I hope you're just f-in' with me.
                  But for the sake of argument, if the Floyd baseplate is absolutely flush against the body with NO room to pull back and a string breaks, you're saying laws of physics dictate that it WILL move anyway?

Not a physics expert but I do know that with fulcrum type set-up, like the OFR, it's matter of balancing opposing tensions- in that case it's the tension of the springs against the tension of the strings. But with the body butted up against baseplate that spring tension cannot move the baseplate back. Assuming there is no room for the pivot point to move, how is tuning gonna go out? Now if a SPRING breaks, that's a different issue...

I really hope you were just trying to rattle my cage.

Comment

Dude, if your trem is blocked, of course it's going to hold tune if a string breaks. It doesn't matter if it's recessed or non-recessed.

So, if you put bigger rear tires on a car you get better gas mileage because you're always going downhill?

Ok, I just re-read your post. So to you a flush mount trem is no different than a hardtail. That's confusing.

So we're not even talking about the same thing.

A flush mount or recessed trem doesn't directly rest against the body, it rests flush with the body. :P
                    Last edited by xenophobe; 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      And what is your point with this statement?
                      Well...it makes them look bigger doesn't it. Everyone likes to look bigger. A guitar with 'Bigger' pickups is just better.
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

And I hate trem stops. Hey what are you playing? Knock knock knock....knock knock....oh it's this bluesy riff thing I've been working on....knock knock knock...oh yeah...right man..yeah..grrrrreat..

Also, if you have big thumbs non recessed are better as there is more string to body clearance.

I'II have to get the blues rock chatterometer out and test it on my SL3 and my pro mods and see if there is a noticeable different too.
                        Last edited by ginsambo; 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          So we're not even talking about the same thing.

A flush mount or recessed trem doesn't directly rest against the body, it rests flush with the body. :P
                          I've always heard top mounts referred to as flush mount because it rests flush against the body as opposed to recessed into it.

Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            I've always heard top mounts referred to as flush mount because it rests flush against the body as opposed to recessed into it.

Interesting...
                            But they are Proud not Flush.

Comment

to me, "Flush" implies that its at the same level as the body. Like if you lower the Floyd in a recessed route so that the baseplate is at the same height as the Body.

Flat-Mounting, or top mounting is how I would refer to a non-recessed floyd
                              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                                Flat-Mounting, or top mounting is how I would refer to a non-recessed floyd
                                I usually use the terms non-recessed or top mounted, but I have heard others ask 'is the trem recessed or flush mounted?' so I always thought it meant mounted flush against the body. But I do see that it could mean mounted flush with the body and refer to recessed trems.
                                Last edited by Ward; 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X