Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Graph Tech Floyd Rose Bridge Saddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
    I suspect burrs on the saddles making the strings snap in time. Take it to a qualified tech and have them filed smooth.
    Gil

Yes ,I just changed 1st string and 6th string, 2nd string and 5th ,3rd and 4th.
    Because the high stings are smoother than low strings.

Maybe I sweat a lot when playing and rusted the saddles on 4,5,6 strings.

I hope it works for some days.

Thanks to all of you!

Comment

I got a set of the Graphtech Floyd saddles some years back and put them on my '05 Charvel Star. To me, they didn't sound any different than regular Floyd saddles, but they did crack rather easily when tightening the screw locks, and I didn't think I overtightened them. I had three of them crack! My opinion... they suck!

I like their regular Strat-type saddles on the hardtail bridge of my Carvin, but I cannot recommend the Floyd saddles.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They have instructions with the saddles that warn against over tightening. iirc (the paper isn't nearby), you should only give them a 1/4 turn after it's finger tight. Somethin like that.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, I remember reading that in the instructions, but for some reason they still cracked. I don't know, I seriously didn't think I overtightened them.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I have like 15 guitars with a few different Floyds or Edge tremolos and when
            I brake a string (which I rarely do) it's never at the Floyd saddles.
            I'll say you need to take a look at the saddles.

Comment

toejam's post killed my boner.

In any case, if you're breaking strings more often than you should be (at the saddles), it's likely that they are slightly burred. Take a low E wound string and slide it back and forth inside of the saddle and over the point where the string rests in a filing motion to remove any burrs still left. I had a similar issue with a brand new Floyd and doing this helped. Then again i might have been using DR strings at the time, which are shit.

1337storm: please tell me what you're doing; every string i've ever broken was at the saddle.
              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                They have instructions with the saddles that warn against over tightening. iirc (the paper isn't nearby), you should only give them a 1/4 turn after it's finger tight. Somethin like that.
                I don't even give my regular Floyds more than 1/4 a turn after the string has been compressed. More like 1/8th. You don't need a whole lot of pressure to keep the strings in the saddles. Most people over-torque them without even realizing it. The people breaking them may not have mechanical aptitude.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  I don't even give my regular Floyds more than 1/4 a turn after the string has been compressed. More like 1/8th. You don't need a whole lot of pressure to keep the strings in the saddles. Most people over-torque them without even realizing it. The people breaking them may not have mechanical aptitude.
                  The graphtech saddles are plastic/graphite... they break easily. I don't think regular Floyd saddles can break.

Comment

When I was a young guitar player I broke strings all the time from beating the crap out of them strumming. I've lightened up a bunch on my right hand and I haven't broken a string at the saddle in years. Good luck.
                    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Maybe I strummed too hard and un-skill........But I can't hold myself.Just want to play fast and bang my head..........hahahhaha

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        The graphtech saddles are plastic/graphite... they break easily. I don't think regular Floyd saddles can break.
                        I thought there was just a graphite pad in a metal saddle. At least that's what they look like in pictures.

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Correct. I think the blocks may also be graphite; at least that was my initial thought when I saw the torque warning.

Sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

One of my customers here recently was having the same issue and I found some burrs and used a round mini file then a dremel with pointed polishing tip and some metal polish.
                            Smoothed out easily so we'll see how it goes this weekend at his gig.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              I thought there was just a graphite pad in a metal saddle. At least that's what they look like in pictures.

No, I'm talking about the actual saddles themselves cracked... three of them. The little blocks inside are fine. The Graphtech saddles are actually made of graphite/plastic!

Edit: The picture you show looks like the ones with the piezo pieces, so maybe those are metal? I got the first Floyd version without piezo, and those saddles are definitely not metal.

Comment

That's how they look now, Joe; those are identical to the ones I just installed.
                                Sully Guitars on Google+
                                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X