No announcement yet.

OFR post question, and spring question. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the springs will be all wonky because of the angle, won't they? I haven't put a block that's too big on any of my guitars, so I wouldn't know. ;p

(No offense, but why do people who don't know anything about how to set up their instruments have expensive guitars? I...don't get it...)

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      No, the block will just hang out the back of the guitar without a cover plate
      Probably that, too.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I still want to know how that thing is set up that high and playing correctly. Those posts are barely in the bushings. Is the neck shimmed? Holy Schnikeys....
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I was wondering that myself. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
            I still want to know how that thing is set up that high and playing correctly. Those posts are barely in the bushings. Is the neck shimmed? Holy Schnikeys....
            That's the same thing I was asking on the first page! The action is either so high it's now unplayable, or the neck is shimmed at the heel with a lego block!

And by the way rhodesfan11, please take all our comments light-heartedly. We are just trying to help you get that thing back to the way all Jacksons are.. One hell of a mean shredder guitar!!!
            1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
            1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
            2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
            2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
            2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
            2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
            1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
            2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
            2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
            1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

I can't tell if your floyd cavity is recessed from the pics, but all of my Dinky's have the floyd sitting just in the recessed cavity, to where the floyd base plate is flush and parallel to the body of the guitar. If the body doesn't have a floyd recessed cavity, it should be barely sitting on the body and parallel with it. If you don't know how to setup a guitar/floyd, take it to a real guitar technician, not a buddy that says he'll fix you up, because if he did this to my guitar, I'd probably never speak to him again..

This is how it should look (with a recessed cavity)... (now you see why we were like... OMG!!! when we saw your guitar!)

Comment

Also, if you bring down the floyd like the above pics and the strings are laying on the neck (especially in upper frets, 18-24), then more than likely the neck is shimmed. You will have to remove the neck and take out the shims (usually paper, but I've seen everything from pics to slices of credit cards in there) the check again.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                  Well, let's not forget this is part of the DiMartini series and all his guitars are non-recessed. I'm actually surprised it has a 37 and not a 42 mm block. There's quite a bit of range of how high manufacturers will place the trem above the body. I prefer it high off the body like this one and when I finally got a promod i needed to shim the neck to get it to my preferred height to match my model series.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

My thinking has always been that the higher the floyd sits off the post seats the more the leverage applied to them when you wham the bar. I guess in Alder that is OK, but over time that can be a death nail for basswood bodies. 1/8" inch is about right IMO.

Rhoadsfan - without meaning to sound rude, just I am wondering....how the hell did you afford a Demartini and then be perfectably capable of replacing the block without any damage and then be unable to figure out how to set it up properly. Either you just won the lottery or work 23 1/2 hours a day and are brain numbed or you aren't using your brain potential, it just doesn't make any sense to me mate!

Could do better! tsk!
                    Last edited by ginsambo; 06-28-2012, 02:22 AM.
                    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                      Well, let's not forget this is part of the DiMartini series and all his guitars are non-recessed. I'm actually surprised it has a 37 and not a 42 mm block. There's quite a bit of range of how high manufacturers will place the trem above the body. I prefer it high off the body like this one and when I finally got a promod i needed to shim the neck to get it to my preferred height to match my model series.
                      37 or 42 are used for non-recessed. My '05 Charvel Star had the 37, and the trem was not even a quarter-inch off the body.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How well the blocks fit also depends on the route in back of the body under the springs. My model 650xl charvel has a 37 mm and works fine; some wood was removed underneath the springs, so the springs were angled toward the front of the guitar. The promod I got also came with a 37 mm, but it didn't have that route, and every time I'd do a dive bomb, the springs would rub against the wood...so I swapped it out for a 37.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

i dont have any guitars with recessed floyd routes, and how the floyd sits off the body ranges, from sitting barely off the body less than a dimes thickness to just shy of a 1/4". the only guitar i have that the neck is shimmed is my wayne, and thats the gutiar the floyd is almost on the body. Even my soloist is close to a 1/4" off the body and thats one of my best players.

I have no clue the block size I'm assuming 42's except for the wayne since they are all older floyds.
                          Last edited by j2379; 06-28-2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X